Wayanad Backpacking Tripfrom
Wayanad Backpacking Trip | Bangalore
Head to a pristine hill station with rich biodiversity, offering pretty views of rolling hills, a place where two mountain ranges – Eastern and the Western Ghats – meet.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Easy
Group Size Small Group
Nestled among the mountains of the western ghats, Wayanad is one of the loveliest hill stations of southern India. There are many good things about Wayanad like full of greenery, misty mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lakes, dams, waterfalls, tea estates, coffee estates, historical caves, panoramic views, and top of it all – pleasant climate most of the year. With its rich flora and fauna, Wayanad is part of the Nilgiris Biosphere Reserve. Wayanad is actually a large district that has varying altitudes between 700 meters and 2100 meters above sea level, which will appear in its climate as you pass by.
Well, if Wayanad is so big, then where all are we heading to?
To start with, we will explore Edakkal caves that are home to one of the oldest human settlements with their rock engravings of the pre-historic era as proof. This hike of 45 mins will be a nice warm-up for our trip. A pleasant view from the top of the caves will compensate for any loss of energy.
We will then head to many of our favorite places – waterfalls. Surrounded by greenery all around, the cool sparkling waters of Kanthanpara waterfalls will surely refresh your body. The falls are separated into different tiers making it look pretty. It’s a great place to spend a couple of hours easily.
An offbeat place called 900-Kandi, a pretty little secret of Wayanad which is not usually thronged by trekkers is next in our list. It is a lush green forest accompanied by grand views of rolling hills, making it ideal for trekking. There are some jeeps ferrying people up and down, but we will try to avoid them.
At the confluence of eastern and western ghats, Kurumbalakotta Mala sunrise trek is an enriching experience. While trekking, one would see mist-covered valleys and hills, rich vegetation, and towering mountains of Wayanad, including Chembra peak. The sun rays coming out of the thick fog is a sight to behold. You will surely see a number of people trekking along with our group, as it is located right in the heart of Wayanad district.
Places like Pookode lake and Lakkidi viewpoint are the tourist attractions we will tick off.
Banasura dam is another popular name in our journey. It is believed to be the largest earthen dam in the country. It’s always a serene experience spending time in front of such a huge water body, especially waiting for the sunset. The icing on the cake is the view of the huge Banasura hill in the backdrop.
Overall, Wayanad has many out-of-ordinary places, which we will run-into on this backpacking trip. It’s time not to wait anymore.
It’s time to savor this wonderful experience.
Highlights of the Wayanad Trip:
- The Kurumbalakotta Mala Sunrise Trek
- Banasura Dam visit
- Edakkal Caves exploration
- Kanthanpara Waterfalls Dip
- The thrills of 900-Kandi deep forest
- Lakkidi viewpoint
- Pookode lake
- Gorgeous Sunrise and Sunset
- Wayanad special food
Join us on:
Check us out on:
(4.9 ⭐200+ reviews)—– (4.8 ⭐950+ reviews)
- Start from Bangalore, an overnight journey
- Reach Campsite located in an amazing hilltop setting, freshen up.
- Fuel up with authentic Kerala Breakfast like Puttu and Chana Masala.
- Drive to Edakkal Caves base point, climb up, explore stone age carvings and enjoy a nice view from the top.
- Lunch at a local restaurant (Kerala meals).
- Drive to Kanthanpara Waterfalls and take a dip in fresh mountain water (expect less water in summer).
- Head towards 900-Kandi which is in deep forest, hike up on a mix of mud and cement road in the jungle, walk along with tea/coffee estates. Visit the glass bridge that protrudes into the valley (slightly overrated, but you can try it if you wish).
- Head back to Camp late evening, refresh with evening Tea.
- Bonfire with music between 9 to 10 PM. After this, we have to respect nature in Wayanad and enjoy our social gathering by sharing stories and playing games.
- Hot dinner with veg/chicken curry and ghee rice.
- Rest for the night in your assigned tents.
- Wake up early morning, get set for the sunrise trek.
- Trek to Kurumbalakotta Mala which is located adjacent to the valley traversed by the Kabini river. This mountain offers a spectacular view of Wayanad and panoramic view of surrounding mountains, including Chembra peak, and deep valleys.
- Trek back to camp, have a breakfast, pack your bags, check out of our campsite.
- Drive to Pookode Lake, go on Boating if you wish to.
- Have Lunch at a local restaurant. Note that food options are limited in this place. Travelers are advised to have whatever local food is available at that time.
- Stop by at Lakkidi viewpoint to take some pictures.
- Drive to Banasura Sagar Dam, explore the beautiful setting of Banasura mountain in the middle of Western Ghats, get set for a serene sunset.
- Say Bye to Wayanad, start back towards Bangalore, dinner at a Dhaba.
- Reach home early in the morning.
- Total slots for the trip: Usually 10 or more.
- Stay: At our beautiful hilltop campsite in the heart of Wayanad.
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner included. Rest is self-sponsored.
- Trek difficulty: Easy to Moderate.
- Tempo (Non-AC).
- Starting time: Friday night 9 PM.
- Ending time: Monday morning around 5 AM.
- Pickup / Drop spots: Tin Factory, Indiranagar, Koramangala, Silk Board, Electronic City.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks night before the trip
- You may say hi to other travelers and get prepared for the trip
- We will set expectations about the trip, remind you on important Terms & Conditions
- Sept to Feb (winter): Intermittent rains greet us in Sept and Oct, but the hill station would be fresh and pretty after monsoons. Dry and pleasant climate starts from Nov till Feb. Nights will be cold in all the months. Plenty of water in streams and waterfalls. Best time for camping and to take dips. The sky is ripe for amazing sunrises and sunsets.
- June to Aug (monsoon months): This is the wettest season. Wayanad gets plenty of rain during monsoons, and is also prone to landslides. We don’t usually organize Wayanad in these months.
- Mar to May (summer): Gets hot. We don’t usually organize Wayanad in these months.
- Hilltop Camping (Tents on 2 or 3 sharing basis), clean washrooms
- Food: 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch (veg), 1 Dinner (veg and non-veg)
- Jeep ride at Camp
- Campfire with group activities
- Experience all places mentioned in the Highlights section
- Entry charges for different places
- Campfire (if it doesn’t rain)
- Organizer(s) from MT
- Lunch, Dinner on Day 2
- Boating, glass bridge or any special activities
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities.
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel and stay.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted. Do not give advice(s) to the Organizer.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for trekkers. There may be snakes, scorpions and other dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand cancelled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s) and/or involving in physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc. Read it here.
- 80% refund if cancellation request is sent before 48 hours of trip start time
- No refund if cancellation request is sent within 48 hours of trip start time, whatever be the reason (health, family, work issues, accident etc.)
- No refund during or after the trip, whatever be the reason
- No refund on the partial payment done to block your seat for the trip
Stop 1: 9:00 PM
Tin Factory Bus stop
- Towards HP Petrol pump side
- Underfoot over bridge
Stop 2: 9:20 PM
Indiranagar 100 Feet Road
- Opposite Barbeque Nation
- Just in front of Domlur Fly Over
Stop 3: 9:45 PM
Koramangala – Sony World Signal
- Just in front of Sony World Bus stop
- On Intermediate Feet Road
Stop 4: (10:15 PM – 10:45 PM) based on the traffic
- Silk Board Junction – end of flyover towards EC,
- Just in-front of Aswad Hospital
Stop 5: (10:30 PM – 11:00 PM) based on the traffic
- BMW Navnit Motors | Main Showroom | Electronic City,
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (no suitcase, no trolley)
- A small backpack for outdoors (to carry water bottle, snacks etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rain proof jacket with a hood (Sept, Oct)
- Cap/Hat (good to have)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our campsite
- Disposable garbage covers (to separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Good grip trekking shoes or sandals
- Your personal medications, if any
- Pair of water wear to take a dip in the waterfalls
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get cold at night
- Carry a lil bit of cash for Sunday Lunch, Dinner and misc. Expenses
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
- 6 months of the year starting from Sept to Feb is the best time to travel to Wayanad.
- Monsoons (Jun to Aug) are very harsh in Wayanad with high rainfall.
- Summers (Mar to May) are hot because of less altitude. Best to avoid.
Read the detailed Terms and Conditions here.
Got more questions? Check out here!