Sikkim Backpacking Trip (6D/5N)from
Ex. Bagdogra Airport
Sikkim Backpacking Trip
A voyage to one of the smallest yet prettiest states of India – Sikkim, tucked between Bhutan, Nepal, and Tibet in the eastern Himalayan range.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Easy to Moderate
- Group Size Medium Group
Sikkim is gifted with stunning natural wonders like high mountain passes, numerous glaciers, alpine lakes, chilling cold rivers, hot water springs and rich culture.
As part of this backpacking trip, we will cover places in East & North Sikkim where popular attractions are located, along with Gangtok, the capital city.
We will start the trip with attractions if East like Tsomgo Lake which is known for seasonal change in the colour of its water, Baba Mandir which has an interesting “Ghost” story behind it, and the NathuLa Pass which is a Indo-China border post.
We will then move up north towards Lachen valley, with a visit to the majestic Gurudongmar Lake, one of the highest lakes in the world allowed for visitors. This lake remains frozen throughout the winter but summers present an opportunity for visitors to enjoy this “slice of heaven”.
Then comes Lachung, a scenic mountain village with gushing waterfalls, apple & apricot orchards, and handicraft centers.
Part of Lachung valley is Yumthang, known as Valley of Flowers, is home to numerous species of Rhododendron flowers on the banks of river Lachung which is a tributary of Teesta, the main river originating from Sikkim. It’s also home to hot water springs believed to be having medicinal properties.
The monasteries, temples, bridges hoisted with colorful Buddhist prayer flags, and the unmatched beauty of Sikkim will give an opportunity to spend blissful time amidst mother nature, detox and unwind.
A trip to Sikkim is a blend of innumerable view points, glittering sights of Himalayan peaks, ice cold climate, a bit of culture and a sense of rejuvenation and peace.
Highlights of the Sikkim Trip:
- Gurudongmar Glacier Lake
- Yumthang – Valley of Flowers
- Lachen – mini Switzerland
- Lachung Valley
- Free flowing Teesta River
- Butterfly Falls, Bhim Nala Falls
- Nathu La Pass, Baba Mandir
- Changu Lake
- Rumtek Monastery
- Gangtok MG Road stroll
View this post on Instagram
- Day 1 Bagdogra to Gangtok
- Travelers coming by Flight will get picked by our vehicle at Bagdogra Airport at around 12 PM in the afternoon.
- Whoever joins by Train will be picked at New Jalpaiguri railway station (NJP) around 12:30 PM.
- We will start our journey towards the capital city of Sikkim – Gangtok along the curvy road that runs parallel to the free flowing Teesta river originating from the glaciers of Sikkim.
- It’s a drive of 200 Km that usually takes 5 hours along with a Lunch stop.
- Check into the guest house by late evening and take a walk on the famous MG marg – the mall road of Gangtok. You can try tasty momos or chow for Dinner and shop for items needed for the trip.
- Good night.
- Travelers coming by Flight will get picked by our vehicle at Bagdogra Airport at around 12 PM in the afternoon.
- Day 2 Day trip to Tsomgo Lake, Baba Mandir, Nathula Pass
- Start the day early with Breakfast
- Go on a day trip towards picturesque oval-shaped Tsomgo Lake (also called Changu Lake) which is famous for sturdy Yaks, Red Panda and various migratory Birds.
- Continue journey to Baba Mandir at an elevation of 13,000 feet. There is an interesting ”Ghost” story of Baba Harbhajan Singh who served Indian Army during the 1960s.
- We will then head to Nathula Pass on the Indo-China border at an elevation of 14,100 feet, which needs a special permit (we would have pre-applied beforehand).
- Nathu La is strategically important for the Indian Army, and is one of the very few Himalayan border posts open for visitors like us.
- Head back to the guest house by late evening.
- Dinner with social gathering and take good rest for the night.
- Day 3 Lachung Valley Trip
- Check out of the stay after a heavy Breakfast.
- Today we will start our journey towards high altitude North Sikkim famous for snow capped mountains, pristine lakes, gushing water falls and natural hot springs.
- Take a pit stop at Butterfly waterfalls and Bhim Nala falls, click lots of selfies.
- Stop for Lunch at beautiful Chungthang village at the confluence of Lachen and Lachung rivers.
- Reach one of the most picturesque villages of Sikkim, Lachun that is located close to worlds third highest peak – the mighty Kanchenjunga!
- We will take a stroll in the evening enjoying splendid views of surrounding Himalayas.
- Dinner and rest at Lachen guest house.
- Day 4 Gurudongmar Lake & Lachung
- Start the day very early at 4 AM to take a beautiful journey to Gurundongmar, one of the highest lakes in India as well in the world at an elevation of 17,800 feet. We will have Breakfast en route. One can spot a barrage of Army vehicles and camps throughout the journey as it is a highly protected area.
- The journey itself is not a cake walk. Because of high altitude, one can experience shortage of oxygen levels but our body would gradually get acclimatized during the journey. Traveling on rugged roads and taking umpteen number of curves would also take its toll on the body.
- But when we eventually reach the destination after all the hardships, the stunning beauty of Gurudongmar will make you feel its worth every bit of the tiring journey.
- After spending good amount of time at the pristine lake and taking numerous pictures, we will have a light Lunch and start our return journey towards Lachen & Chungthang village.
- We will continue our journey to the next destination Lachung Valley.
- Rest for the night at Lachung guest house.
- Day 5 Yumthang Valley, back to Gangtok
- Start the day early with Breakfast
- We will head towards Yumthang valley, situated at an elevation of 11800 feet, a 1.5 hour drive from Lachung.
- Yumthang which is known as ‘Valley of Flowers” is located in the valley by the Lachung river. It is a picture perfect setting surrounded by snow-clad mountains on all sides.
- Give a visit to natural Yumthang hot springs which are known for their medicinal properties because of rich Sulphur and other mineral content. There is a beautiful walking bridge filled with colorful prayer flags across the river Lachung. Hot springs are located at the other side of the bridge. The temperature of hot water springs varies between 50 to 60 degrees celsius even in freezing winter times. Truly a little wonder of mother nature.
- We will take a stroll at the Yumthang market and try local food for Lunch.
- Further up from Yumthang, at an altitude of 14500 feet is Zero Point. This is where the civilian road ends and one go can’t drive any further. A special permit is needed to visit Zero point.
- Start return journey towards Gangtok by late afternoon.
- Check into Gangtok guest house and socialize with the group one last time during our Sikkim trip.
- Dinner and rest.
- Day 6 Rumtek Monastery, Airport Drop
- Check out after Breakfast.
- Give a visit to majestic Rumtek Monastery by taking a roadtrip of 24 km from Gangtok. Besides being an important Buddhist pilgrimage, this magnificent monastery is a must visit attraction in Sikkim owing to the unique architecture and the tranquility of the place. Rumtek is an excellent example of Tibetan monastic art in Sikkim.
- We will then bid adieu to the Himalayas and head back towards planes of West Bengal where we started our journey 6 days back.
- It’s a 5 hour journey with a Lunch stop, so it’s safe to book flight after 6 PM.
- Note: Our team can also assist you in booking your flight tickets.
- Trip starting/ending point: Siliguri (West Bengal)
- Pick up and drop at Bagdogra Airport, NJP Railway station
- Innova, Xylo or similar tourist vehicle (6 days journey)
- Start time: First day, 12 PM (afternoon)
- End time: Sixth day, 7 PM
- You can book flights to/from Bagdogra based on the above timings.
- Note: There is no night journey on this trip. All travel is during day time.
- Comfortable, standard guest houses / hotels.
- 2 or 3 sharing rooms.
- Gangtok 3 nights.
- Lachen 1 night.
- Lachung 1 night.
- Breakfasts & Dinners included.
- Lunches are self-sponsored as we will be outside at that time.
- How much you have to spend for good food?
200 – 250 per meal
- Batch size: 5 to 10
- Trek Difficulty: No trekking
- Max altitude: Gurudongmar at 17,800 feet above Sea level
Very cold at Lachen, Lachung
Cold at Gangtok
Things to pack for Sikkim Trip:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste etc.
- A lightweight large Backpack for the entire trip (50-60 liters). Strictly no trolleys. Remember this is a Backpacking trip.
- A small backpack for basic items (to carry valuables, water bottle, snacks, etc. for outdoor activities).
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID).
- 2 Passport size color photographs (important for permit).
- Thermal inners and warm clothes (cold climate).
- A rainproof jacket with a hood (to protect from cold winds, sudden rain).
- Thick socks, track pants, full sleeve t-shirts (to keep your body warm).
- Cap/Hat/Sunglasses (to protect from harmful sun rays).
- Sunscreen (SPF 50 or more).
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to).
- Hand sanitizer and liquid hand wash for outdoors.
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our stays.
- Disposable garbage covers (to separate used/unused clothes).
- Water-resistant good grip shoes for travel, extra slippers to use at stays.
- Personal medications, any drugs that you may feel necessary (remember ghat roads, cold climate), basic first aid kit.
- No need to carry snacks/chocolates. You may buy at local shops to support local people in Sikkim.
There are 2 ways of booking this trip
- Directly book through Book Now option.
> Full payment.
- Through UPI – muddietrails@okaxis
> Booking amount of INR 6000 shall be made.
> Send screenshot to Booking Team on 9880539183. An e-mail confirmation will be sent after acknowledgement.
> Remaining trip amount shall be paid 1 month before trip start date.
> Booking amount is non-refundable if cancelled later or failed to pay balance amount on time.
- Note: Within 1 month, ONLY full payment option is applicable.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- Organizers will get in touch with you, or vice versa.
- Once minimum number of people book this trip (at least 4 members), Organizing team will give a green signal to book your flights.
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks 5 days before the event.
- Expect seasonal variations in Sikkim depending on the month we are travelling
- Travelers are expected to come with open heart by appreciating complexities of mother nature based on seasonal variations, monthly or even daily weather conditions.
- There is no luxury involved in any part of this trip. This is a backpacking trip with basic facilities.
- Mid Mar to June: Summers are pleasant in Sikkim which pull tourists in good numbers.
- Jul to mid Sept (monsoons): The rains hit the eastern Himalayas starting from mid June. Journey would be tough during this time. We usually avoid traveling to Sikkim in rains.
- Mid Sept to Nov (Post monsoon): Another good season to travel before extreme winter sets in. One can expect high tourist footfall in these months.
- Dec to mid Mar: Temperatures will drop below 0 degrees towards the end of the year with the onset of snow fall covering the entire valley. It will be very difficult to travel and important roads will be closed by Indian Army.
- Travel for 6 Days (Bagdogra to Bagdogra)
- Stay for 5 nights
- 5 Breakfasts
- 3 Dinners
- Inner Line Permit (ILP) charges
- Trip Guide (for groups above 5 members)
- Airport pickup and drop (fixed timings)
- Once in a lifetime experience visiting all places mentioned in Highlights section
- Lunches, 3 Dinners
- Any kind of activities other than mentioned above
- Any misc. expenses that are not in inclusions above
- Any extra cost arising due to any change in the itinerary/stay/route on account of bad weather, traffic-congestion, landslides/roadblocks, natural calamities, political disturbances and/or any other factors beyond our control.
Terms & Conditions:
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule shall be entertained. Do not give advice(s) to the Trip Leader(s) to change the itinerary.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for treks. There may be snakes, scorpions, and dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 80% refund if a cancellation request is sent 30 days before the trip start date.
- 50% refund if a cancellation request is sent between 30 to 15 days before the trip start date.
- An email has to be sent to email@example.com to raise a cancellation request.
- No refund within 15 days of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, COVID, Accident, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund during/after the event.
- No refund on the partial payment (advance) done to block your seat for the trip.
Cancellation by Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails may decide to cancel the event if there are less than 3 travelers signed up for the trip/trek.
What if we don’t get the minimum number of people for the trip?
We have 2 options in this case:
Option 1: Complete refund.
Option 2: Switch to any other trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
Cancellation due to external factors
Muddie Trails may have to cancel the event in case of external factors that are beyond our control like Natural Disasters, Extreme Weather Conditions, Red Alerts, Political Disturbances, Bandh/Curfews, Local Issues, Road Blocks, Train cancellations, Covid-19 or any other disease outbreaks etc.
In these scenarios:
- No Refund is allowed.
- 100% trip amount can be used for any other new trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
- Once you confirm your participation on the new trip, all the above Cancellation policies will apply for the same.
October 29, 2023 - November 3, 2023
Available (Starting Sunday 12 PM - Ending Friday 7 PM)
December 16, 2023 - December 21, 2023
Available (Starting Saturday 12 PM - Ending Thursday 7 PM)
December 20, 2023 - December 25, 2023
Available (Starting Wednesday 12 PM - Ending Monday 7 PM)