Nilgiris Long Weekend Special: Ooty, Coonoor, Kotagiri Trip!from
The Nilgiris Trip – Offbeat Ooty, Coonoor and Kotagiri
A long weekend special trip that takes you to the gorgeous Nilgiris Biosphere which is filled with splendid tea estates, pristine lakes, majestic mountains, dense sholas, and deep valleys.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Easy to Moderate
- Group Size Small Group
Do you wanna explore the quaint little villages in the Nilgiris mountain range?
How about unwinding at majestic lakes like Emerald & Avalanche?
A drive through absolutely amazing views of majestic mountains that are older than the Himalayas?
Take Bollywood style selfies amidst beautiful Tea estates?
Get thrilled by Shola forests so dense that feels like even flies can’t pass through?
Get chilled and have garam chai in the mountains?
Or just put your feet in a river stream & feel how beautiful life can get while traveling!
A little bit of wildlife maybe?
Nilgiris offers everything above and a lot of peace of mind.
Let’s know a bit more about this pretty hill station:
Nilgiris, translated as “Blue mountains” is a fairyland in the tri-junction of 3 southern Indian states – Karnataka, Tamilnadu, and Kerala. There are cloud kissing mountains, dense forests, rushing streams, undulating planes, breathtaking views of sudden drops, deep valleys, charming meadows. The Nilgiris biosphere is unique for its altitude as well as a unique ecosystem. It boasts of the most popular tourist destination in the South of India called Ooty as its capital.
The best thing about Nilgiris is its cold climate throughout the year. Ooty & Coonoor attract lot of tourists. But not many of them spill into the offbeat side of Nilgiris. This weekend trip is exactly about that offbeat, less explored side of Nilgiris. We will stay at a village guest house in the heart of Nilgiris. We will go deeper into the villages, tea estates, and mountains & experience nature in its purest form.
At a distance of roughly 270 Km, The hill stations of Nilgiris – Ooty, Coonoor & Kotagiri – make a great long weekend getaway from Bengaluru.
Highlights of the Nilgris Trip:
- Most beautiful Emerald & Avalanche Lakes
- Forest village walk
- Ketty Valley view point
- Ooty Chocolate/Tea Factory visit
- Magnificent Pykara Lake visit
- Drive through Bandipur Reserve Forest
- Dip in majestic Catherine waterfalls
- Tea Estate Walk in Kotagiri
- Byson, wildlife spotting
- Colorful Sim’s park
- Dolphin’s nose
- Hidden Valley of Coonoor
- Day 0: THU Onward journey to Nilgiris!
- Start from Bangalore, overnight journey to Nilgiris.
- Day 1: FRI Coonoor, Offbeat Ooty
- Journey on NH44 down south to reach Nilgiris village guesthouse early morning.
- Freshen up, have breakfast.
- Go on a picturesque road trip into Coonoor part of Nilgiris, witness most beautiful Tea estates covering huge swathes of mountains.
- Go on a nature walk in a quaint little forest village, explore a watch tower, a picturesque hanging bridge, sip a cup of hot tea, and inspect handicraft items made by tribals.
- Stop by at Ketty valley view point that offers panoramic views of lush green tea estates and Nilgiri Mountain Railway Line.
- Have Lunch en route.
- Visit picturesque Emerald & Avalanche Lakes, click a hundred selfies. Put your feet in the chilled fresh water, relax and rejuvenate.
- Witness a beautiful sunset at Avalanche lake on a clear day.
- Head back to the Guesthouse, refresh.
- Social gathering with long conversations, sharing travel stories.
- We can play soft music, sing, indulge in group activities at the common area.
- Hot dinner served on a really cold night.
- Rest in the rooms, tucked up with thick blankets.
- Day 2: SAT Kotagiri & Coonoor
- Freshen up, have Breakfast at the stay.
- Visit the most famous tourist attraction Sim’s park, take loads of pictures in the colorful setting.
- Head to Dolphin’s nose of Coonoor, enjoy the thrilling view with huge mountain gorges overlooking Kotagiri valley and the Catherine waterfalls plunge into oblivion.
- Break for Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Easy trek to amazing Catherine waterfalls through the endless Tea estates on either side, take a rejuvenating dip under the chilled waters.
- Stop over at Kotagiri market, shop for chocolates, spices, goodies and souvenirs.
- Socially gather at the common area of the guest house and play lots of group games like Mafia & Dumb Charades.
- Have delicious Dinner.
- Rest for the night.
- Day 3: SUN Ooty, Bandipur, return journey
- Pack your bags, check out of the Guesthouse.
- Visit Ooty Tea/Chocolate factory, taste different kinds of chai, shop for your favorite Nilgiris Tea.
- Stop by at famous Pykara Lake, go on boating, munch some street food.
- Break for Lunch at a local restaurant
- Start back towards Bangalore, drive through Bandipur and Madhumalai wildlife sanctuaries whilst spotting Deer, Peacock, different species of birds, mammals, and if lucky, the Elephants.
- (Time Permits) Stop by at Mysore Palace late in the evening, take a Tea break.
- Reach back to Bengaluru around 10 PM.
- This trip involves basic facilities in terms of food, travel, and stay without any luxury, whatsoever.
- This is a group trip with shared model. It may not suit everyone – especially for those expecting privacy and comfort. It best suits for people who wish to socialize.
- Please do not book this trip if you are not okay with above points.
- Tempo Traveler or Mini Bus (with push back seats).
- Note: This trip involves overnight journey on a push back Seater (Not sleeper or semi-sleeper).
- We request you to book this trip only if you can handle slight discomfort (especially last row of the vehicle).
- Guest house with beds/mattress, clean washrooms.
- 3/4 sharing rooms with bedding, hot water for shower & a common area to socialize.
- 3 Breakfasts, 2 Dinners (Veg) included.
- Meals during journey are self-sponsored.
- Please check Inclusions, Exclusions of Nilgiris Long Weekend Special Trip below for complete list of things included in your trip cost.
Baiyappanahalli Metro: 8:45 PM Tin Factory: 9:00 PM Marathahalli: 9:20 PM Bellandur: 9:35 PM Silk Board: 9:50 PM Electronic City: 10:10 PM Note: There is no dinner stop for any of our trips. Finish your light dinner before starting.
• Back Gate metro entrance
• Kasturi Nagar side (Railway Parallel Road)
• Tin Factory Bus Stop
• Mariyamman Temple side (towards Marathahalli)
• In front of HP world on service road
• Opposite side of Mahindra Showroom
• Under Eco Space sky walk
• Near Aswad Hospital
• In front of Renault Silk Board showroom
• Toll Plaza Veer Sandra on Hosur Road
Baiyappanahalli Metro: 8:45 PM
Tin Factory: 9:00 PM
Marathahalli: 9:20 PM
Bellandur: 9:35 PM
Silk Board: 9:50 PM
Electronic City: 10:10 PM
Note: There is no dinner stop for any of our trips. Finish your light dinner before starting.
Things to carry:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (avoid suitcase/trolley)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rainproof jacket with a hood (from June to Nov)
- Cap/Hat (good to have)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our homestay
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Your personal medications, if any
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get very cold at night.
- Carry a bit of cash for the meals which are not included and misc. expenses.
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- A Whatsapp group shall be created on the trip day and Vehicle & Trip Leader details will be shared.
- This trip involves traveling with strangers and night stays (if any). Please be mindful that:
- It is mandatory to share your personal information with the team along with a copy of your government approved ID card.
- You will need to share your co-traveler(s) details if you have booked more than one seat.
- Live location of the vehicle will be sent in the group once it starts at the first point.
- Mar to May (summer): Pleasant climate during days, clear skies, cold nights. Time to escape the heat of Bangalore and hit the mountains. Exquisite sunrise and sunsets.
- June to Sep (South-West Monsoons): Thick clouds, weather is unpredictable with intermittent rains, so we need to carry raincoats. The mountains really come alive during the monsoons like all hill stations.
- Dec to Feb (North-East Monsoons): The returning North East monsoons bring plenty of showers in these two months. These are the main source of water for Nilgiris. Traveling would be a little difficult this time of the year because of persistent rains.
- Oct to Jan (winter): Dry and cold climate throughout the day. Very cold at night. Plenty of water in streams and waterfalls. Need to carry thick sweaters.
Best time for Nilgiris:
- Nilgiris is a place for all seasons. Every season offers something special. In monsoons, one can witness streams and waterfalls in full flow. Winters are very cold and misty. Summers are very pleasant and offer clear views. Common throughout the year is its cold climate.
- Travel by pushback Tempo (Non AC)
- Stay: 2 Days / 2 Nights
- Food: 3 Breakfasts, 2 Dinners (All veg)
- Experience all places in the “Highlights” section
- Entry tickets everywhere
- Trip Leader(s)
- Meals during journey
- Any activities like Boating, Horse riding etc.
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule shall be entertained. Do not give advice(s) to the Trip Leader(s) to change the itinerary.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for treks. There may be snakes, scorpions, and dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 80% refund/100% postponement if you inform about your cancellation before 48 hours of the event start time. An email has to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to raise a cancellation request.
- No refund/postponing is allowed within 48 hours of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, Accident, Covid, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund/postponing is allowed for partial payment – booking fee – which is done to book your slot.
- No refund during/after the event.
Cancellation by Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails may decide to cancel the event if there are less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek.
What if we don’t get the minimum number of people for the trip?
We have 2 options in this case:
Option 1: Complete refund.
Option 2: Switch to any other trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
Cancellation due to external factors
Muddie Trails may have to cancel the event in case of external factors that are beyond our control like Natural Disasters, Extreme Weather Conditions, Red Alerts, Political Disturbances, Bandh/Curfews, Local Issues, Road Blocks, Train cancellations, Covid-19 or any other disease outbreaks etc.
In these scenarios:
- No Refund is allowed.
- 100% trip amount can be used for any other new trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
- Once you confirm your participation on the new trip, all the above Cancellation policies will apply for the same.