Meghalaya Monsoon Special Trip (5D/4N)from
The Mesmerizing Meghalaya Monsoon Trip
A backpacking trip that takes you to one of the wettest places on Earth: The Meghalaya.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Challenging
- Group Size Small Group
There are many amazing things about Meghalaya state like the floating clouds (that’s the first thing comes to mind), the high rise mountains, rainforests formed by wettest places on earth, stunning deep valleys, free flowing rivers and streams, gigantic waterfalls, mystical caves, living root bridges that act as harmony between humans and nature over centuries, some of the cleanest villages, diverse spread of food, colorful locals and unique culture.
As part of this backpacking trip, we at Muddie Trails handpicked monsoon special attractions in the abode of clouds that will refresh your body, mind and awaken your soul. We will experience Meghalaya in full glory, create memories, and sketch beautiful stories to tell.
We will start the trip with Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya, which is also the highest point of the state. It boasts a cold climate most of the year. It has a unique cuisine with tasty food, friendly locals, great for shopping especially the winter wear.
After exploring local attractions in Shillong, we will head towards the wettest place on earth, Cherrapunji, explore umpteen viewpoints, cleanest villages, deep Mawsmai caves, pristine valleys, and numerous waterfalls like Nohkalikai, 7 Sisters, Wei Sawdong.
We will set off on a wild & wet trek to fascinating Double Decker Living Root Bridges and magical Rainbow Waterfalls. After soul-soothing dips in the natural swimming pools of lush blue waters, we will end the trip with a pit stop at Shillong while filling our bags with souvenirs, and a mind full of beautiful memories.
All in all, Meghalaya is a natural wonder that cannot be missed in your lifetime. Come, join us on a wild & wet backpacking trip to Meghalaya in monsoons.
Highlights of the Meghalaya Trip:
- The Double Decker Living Root Bridges
- Dawki Umngot River Expedition
- Cherrapunji – Wettest place on Earth
- Mawsmai Caves exploration
- 7 Sisters Waterfall
- Nohkalikai Falls – World’s 4th largest Waterfalls
- 4 Layered Wei Sawdong Waterfalls
- Mawlynnong Asia’s cleanest Village
- North Eastern Cultural Museum Shillong
- Umiam – the prettiest lake
- Dress up in Meghalaya traditional attire
- Day 1 Umium, Around Shillong
- Travelers coming by Flight will get picked by our vehicle at Guwahati Airport around 10:30 AM.
- We will start our journey towards the mountain town of Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya.
- It’s a drive of 120 Km that takes 3.5 hours usually. Expect traffic congestion in Guwahati. We shall enter Meghalaya after showing our Covid vaccination certificates or Rt-Pcr whatever is applicable to you.
- Break for Lunch at a restaurant.
- Continue our journey to the extremely pretty Umium Lake and go on a boat ride. Travelers can easily spend couple of hours at this extremely pretty lake that gives a sneak peak of how beautiful Meghalaya is!
- Reach Shillong town late evening after buying some snacks and drinks, if you wish to, at famous Police Bazar, check into our guest house and freshen up.
- Gather at the common area, socialize. and play games.
- Rest for the night on cozy beds.
- Travelers coming by Flight will get picked by our vehicle at Guwahati Airport around 10:30 AM.
- Day 2 Dawki River & Asia's cleanest village
- Start the day early with Breakfast.
- Set out on a beautiful journey to Dawki on the banks of the Umngot river. This river is usually transparent in dry season (winter and summer). But the fast flowing water of Umngot carries lots of sediments and mud from the mountains in the rainy season.
- We will explore the place where the river leaves our country and enters neighboring Bangladesh.
- Give a visit to Asia’s cleanest village Mawlynnong. This village boasts interesting things like a bamboo-made watch tower to peek into Bangladesh from a height, cleanest roads, sense of calmness and beautiful people.
- Break for late Lunch at a local restaurant.
- We will now explore interesting Balancing rock at Mawlynnong village.
- We will then head towards our next destination Cherrapunji by late evening, while stopping by at couple of view points enroute.
- Dinner with social gathering.
- Rest in your assigned rooms.
- Day 3 Trek down to Heaven, Double Decker Living Roots & Rainbow falls!
- Start the day with Breakfast in the misty town of Cherrapunji.
- Head to base village Tyrna and trek down to Nongriat Village Double Decker Living Root Bridges.
- The 3641 steps into the valley to the Nongriat village will take us to the most offbeat place of Meghalaya where we will spend the rest of the day and night.
- After marveling at the huge Double Decker Living Root Bridges structure constructed by generations of humans by carefully bending roots of Rubber trees for centuries, continue trekking into the jungle another 1.5 hours to reach breathtaking Rainbow Waterfalls.
- Trekkers are expected to carry ample snacks like – Bananas/Dry fruits/Biscuits/Energy bars – today as there is no special place for Lunch at this remote place.
- Trek back to village, stay at village dorms overnight with basic facilities.
- Day 4 Trek back to Earth, explore Caves, Waterfalls, Dress up!
- Good morning from one of the remotest part of country!
- After having early Breakfast, trek back up towards the Tyrna village (the place where we descended from yesterday).
- Climbing up 3600 odd stairs will take it’s time, but your mind is full of amazing scenes and colors of what you just experienced yesterday. This hike can be done in 3 to 4 hours easily with frequent breaks.
- Explore the breathtaking maze of caves formed of limestone called Mawsmai caves. Though the caves are quite long, only a small part of open for tourists. This magnificent natural wonder is the handiwork of years of natural erosion and underground water. The fun part is – there are some tricky paths in the caves where you have to sneak through.
- Dress up in Meghalaya special Khasi tribe traditional attire and pose for cameras.
- Have Lunch at a restaurant.
- Head to the 7 Sisters Waterfalls view point and enjoy an enchanting view of this seasonal waterfalls.
- Give a visit offbeat and 3 layered Wei Sawdong waterfalls. We have to take a small hike to reach this waterfalls.
- We will get back to the Cherrapunji homestay and gather one last time for Dinner & social gatheting.
- Well deserved rest in the assigned rooms.
- Day 5 Nohkalikai Falls, Museum of Colors & Cultures, Shopping, Return journey
- Start the day early with a Breakfast at our stay.
- Pack your bags & check out.
- Visit Nohkalikai Waterfalls viewpoint, one of the biggest falls in India.
- We will then move towards Shillong to visit very interesting Don Bosco Museum that showcases culture, colors, tools, clothing and artifacts of North Eastern states.
- One shouldn’t miss this wonderful museum on their Meghalaya trip. It will make you fall in love with North East and pull you back to explore other states like Nagaland and Sikkim, Arunachal.
- Taste some local food for Lunch at a place our guide will take you to, and sip a warm cup of variety of tea famous in Shillong.
- Start around 3.30 PM and try to reach Guwahati by late evening.
- A strict timeline will be maintained today so that we can reach Airport on time to catch our return flights.
- You may book flights after 8:30 PM or we shall help you with pointing a guest house in Guwahati for the night so that you could leave the next day.
- Note: Our team can also assist you in booking your flight tickets.
- Trip starting/ending point: Guwahati
- Pick up and drop at Guwahati Airport
- Tempo, Innova or similar tourist vehicle (6 days journey)
- Start time: Day 1, 10:30 AM
- End time: Day 5, 8:30 PM
- You can book flights to/from Guwahati based on the above timings.
- Note: There is no night journey on this trip. All travel is during day time.
- Shillong/Cherrapunji: Homestay for 1 Night (comfort, shared stay)
- Cherrapunji: Homestay for 2 Nights (comfort, shared stay)
- Nongriat Village: Dormitory for 1 Night (basic, shared stay)
- Note 1: Couple stay can be provided at an extra cost of 1000 per couple per night in Shillong/Cherrapunji. Contact Organizers to check availability before booking.
- Breakfasts included
- Lunches & Dinners are self-sponsored
Based on feedback from previous batches, we excluded Lunches and Dinners as everyone have different food choices. Meghalaya boasts good food. There are multiple food options available at all the places that put travelers in confusion.
- All homestays at Meghalaya provide pre-set food for dinner or take orders as per menu.
- How much you have to spend for good food?
150 – 200 per Lunch
200 – 250 per Dinner
- Batch size: 5 to 15
- Trek Difficulty: Moderate (Beginners can attempt)
- Note: There is 1 trek to Double Decker Living Root Bridges and Rainbow Waterfalls on Days 4,5
- Max altitude: Shillong at 5,200 feet above Sea level
- Climate: Cold to Moderate
Things to pack for Meghalaya Trip:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste etc.
- A lightweight large Backpack for the entire trip (50-60 liters). Strictly no trolleys. Remember this is a Backpacking trip.
- A small backpack for basic items (to carry valuables, water bottle, snacks, etc. for outdoor activities).
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID).
- A Passport size color photograph (important for permit).
- A rainproof jacket with a hood during monsoons (to protect from cold winds, sudden rain).
- Thick socks, track pants, full sleeve t-shirts (to keep your body warm).
- Cap/Hat/Sunglasses (to protect from harmful sun rays).
- Sunscreen (SPF 50 or more).
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to).
- Hand sanitizer and liquid hand wash for Camping and outdoors.
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our stays.
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, wet/dry clothes).
- Water-resistant good grip shoes/sandals for travel, extra slippers to use at stays.
- Personal medications, any drugs that you may feel necessary (remember ghat roads, cold climate), basic first aid kit.
- No need to carry snacks/chocolates. You may buy at local shops to support local people in Meghalaya.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- Organizers will get in touch with you, or vice versa. After the confirmation, you may book your flights up and down.
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks 5 days before the event
- You may discuss many things in the group and get prepared for the trip
- Expect wet climate in Meghalaya during monsoon months.
- On foggy/cloudy days we may have to wait at certain locations to get the waterfalls view.
- On some occasions, if we are unlucky, we won’t get to see certain views because of heavy cloud cover.
- The waterfalls are in full flow with brute force, so it’s not advised to enter most waterfalls. It is advised to listen to our expert Trip Leader who can help you to take dips at selected places.
- Travelers are expected to come with open heart by appreciating complexities of Mother nature based on seasonal variations, monthly or even daily weather conditions.
- Please book this trip only if you are okay with all above points.
- Jan to Mar: Winters are pleasantly cold in Meghalaya which pull tourists in good numbers. There’s still a good amount of water to play in rivers and waterfalls. However, those giant waterfalls meant for viewing are quiet (Nohkalikai) this season.
- Apr to Sept (Monsoons): The rains hit the mountains starting from April. Meghalaya has a long monsoon season. They start slow in April/May, consistently increase during June, peak around July/August and reduce by mid of Sept. Thick clouds all around interrupt views. With the brute force of water, one cannot take dips/play in water anywhere.
- Oct to Dec (Post monsoon): The giant waterfalls (Nohkalikal, Weisawdong) are at their best post monsoons with enchanting views. End of the year (Nov, Dec, Jan) is good to play in the clear waters of rivers and waterfalls (Umngot, Krang Suri, Rainbow). Temperatures may drop below 5 degrees towards the end of the year.
- Travel (Guwahati to Guwahati)
- Stay for 4 nights
- 4 Breakfasts
- Meghalaya Khasi tribe dress up
- All entry tickets, permissions
- Trip Captain
- Local guide for Double Decker, Rainbow Trekking
- Airport pickup and drop (fixed timings)
- Bonfire (at least 1 time, weather permits)
- Once in a lifetime experience visiting all places mentioned in Highlights section
- Lunches, Dinners
- Any kind of activities other than mentioned above
- Any kind of insurance, shopping, party, medical expenses
- Any misc. expenses that are not in inclusions above
- Any extra cost arising due to any change in the itinerary/stay on account of flight cancellation, bad weather, traffic-congestion/roadblocks, political disturbances and/or any factors beyond our control.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule shall be entertained. Do not give advice(s) to the Trip Leader(s) to change the itinerary.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for treks. There may be snakes, scorpions, and dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 80% refund if a cancellation request is sent 30 days before the trip start date.
- 50% refund if a cancellation request is sent between 30 to 15 days before the trip start date.
- An email has to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to raise a cancellation request.
- No refund within 15 days of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, COVID, Accident, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund during/after the event.
- No refund on the partial payment (advance) done to block your seat for the trip.
Cancellation by Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails may decide to cancel the event if there are less than 3 travelers signed up for the trip/trek.
What if we don’t get the minimum number of people for the trip?
We have 2 options in this case:
Option 1: Complete refund.
Option 2: Switch to any other trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
Cancellation due to external factors
Muddie Trails may have to cancel the event in case of external factors that are beyond our control like Natural Disasters, Extreme Weather Conditions, Red Alerts, Political Disturbances, Bandh/Curfews, Local Issues, Road Blocks, Train cancellations, Covid-19 or any other disease outbreaks etc.
In these scenarios:
- No Refund is allowed.
- 100% trip amount can be used for any other new trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
- Once you confirm your participation on the new trip, all the above Cancellation policies will apply for the same.