Dudhsagar & Tambdi Surla Waterfalls Trekfrom
Dudhsagar Trek & Tambdi Surla Waterfalls Trek from Bangalore
– Dudhsagar is a waterfall straight out of a fairytale, that cascades from the sky when monsoons hit western ghats. A trek to these heavenly falls is both thrilling and awe-inspiring.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Moderate
- Group Size Small Group
The Sea of Milk as they call it, Dudhsagar, is a trek to savor. The waterfall located in the middle of majestic Western Ghats is surrounded by lush greenery. Dudhsagar is the fourth largest waterfall in India at a height of more than 1000 feet.
The trek starts at Kulem railway station, adjacent to the railway track and through the forest sometimes. The 22 km up and down trek of Dudhsagar falls usually takes 6 to 7 hours to finish in a leisurely way. The muddy trails, sticky paths, dense forest, streams to cross – we have it all during this amazing trek.
There is a natural pool at the bottom of the falls where we are allowed to take a dip with life jackets when the flow is not high. Dudhsagar is so huge that a moving Train passing on a railway bridge across the backdrop of waterfalls appears like a toy!
Dudhsagar is a place where one can truly experience nature in all its glory. A relaxing train journey back home is what you exactly need to cherish the unforgettable image of Dudhsagar on your mind.
We will also go on a guided trek to the offbeat and untouched Tambdi Surla waterfalls. An ancient Shiva temple with the same name – Tambdi Surla – nestled amidst dense jungle, with the backdrop of rolling western ghats is an added attraction, especially for peace lovers.
Join us and #getmuddie in the Sea of Milk, Dudhsagar!
Highlights of the Dudhsagar Trek:
- The Dudhsagar Trek
- Cross streams
- Trek through dense rainforest
- Offbeat Tambdi Surla Waterfalls Trek
Join us on:
Check us out on:
(4.9 ⭐200+ reviews)—– (4.8 ⭐950+ reviews)
- Day 0 Schedule
- Start from Bangalore, an overnight journey by sleeper train to Londa/Hubli.
- Day 1 Schedule
- Switch to a hired private vehicle, take the journey to Mollem – in the heart Mahavir wildlife sanctuary.
- Have Breakfast on our way.
- Check in to our stay, freshen up.
- Grab your packed lunch and get set for an easy trek to the offbeat Tamdi Surla Waterfalls located in the deep jungle.
- Play in the ice-cold water, get wet, get muddy, take a lot of pictures.
- Have your lunch overlooking the beautiful waterfalls surrounded by thick greenery.
- Trek back to the starting point, journey back to the homestay by evening.
- Spend some leisurely time chitchatting and playing some group games. Our trek leader will organize lots of fun activities among the group.
- Finish your dinner and retire for the day early.
- Day 2 Schedule
- Wake up call at 4:30AM by our trek leader.
- Quick freshen up and get set for the mighty Dudhsagar Trek with trekking shoes, raincoat, armed with hand sanitizer to fight leeches.
- Safely put your luggage at our homestay, take the bumpy offroad jeep ride to the trek starting point in Collem.
- Trek through the muddy trails, dense forest, along railway track, cross river streams to reach the big daddy of waterfalls The Dudhsagar. Finish breakfast en route.
- Enjoy the view of the majestic falls almost dipping down from another world.
- Watch as a Train passes by on the railway bridge at the top.
- Play in the water if allowed at the time.
- After spending a good amount of time appreciating the natural wonder, Dudhsagar, trek back to Collem by early afternoon.
- We will arrange Lunch at our restaurant.
- Grab your luggage, start the journey back towards Londa/Hubli.
- Catch your return train late in the evening.
- Day 3 Schedule
- Reach home early in the morning
- Share your thrilling Dudhsagar trek story with your friends and family
- This trip involves basic facilities in terms of food, travel, and stay without any luxury, whatsoever.
- This is a group trip with shared model. It may not suit everyone – especially for those expecting privacy and comfort. It best suits for people who wish to socialize.
- Please do not book this trip if you are not okay with above points.
- As Dudhsagar involves Train journey, it is highly recommended to book your trip at least 15 days ahead to have good chance of getting a confirmed sleeper berth.
- There is no luxury involved in this entire trip. This is a backpacking trip with basic facilities.
- Non-AC Sleeper coach Train journey between Bangalore & Londa.
- Train no: 16589
- Train name: Rani Chennamma Express
- Majestic Railway Station: 11 PM
- Yesvantpur Railway Station: 11:10 PM
- Platform no: Check at Railway station.
- Same as pickup points (Monday 6:30 AM as per Train schedule)
- Toofan/Tavera/Bolero or similar vehicle in Dudhsagar/Goa.
- Guest house.
- Basic dormitory stay with mattress placed on floor, pillow & blankets.
- Separate for Men and Women.
- Usually 6 to 7 people per dorm, attached bathroom with hot water.
- 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner (all veg) are included.
- Food during Train journey is self sponsored.
- Please check Inclusions, Exclusions of Dudhsagar trek package below for complete list of things included in your trip cost.
- Dudhsagar Trek Distance: 22 Km (To & Fro)
- Time taken: Usually 8 to 9 hours (with breaks, breakfast)
- Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
- Terrain type: Railway Track, Forest, Muddy Trails
- Can beginners attempt this trek?
Yes. There is no mountain climbing involved in this trek. It is almost like a walk of 22 Km.
Things to carry:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (no suitcase, no trolley)
- A small backpack for the trek (to carry a Lunch packet, water bottle, snacks, etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rainproof jacket with a hood (from June to September)
- Track pants, full sleeve T-shirt for the trek
- Cap/Hat (to avoid getting tanned)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our homestay
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Good grip trekking shoes or sandals
- Your personal medications, if any
- Pair of water wear to take a dip in the waterfalls/sea
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get cold at night
- Carry a lil bit of cash for Sunday Lunch, Dinner, and misc. Expenses
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- These trips involve traveling with strangers and night stays (If any). Please be mindful that:
- You will need to share your personal information with the team along with a copy of your ID card.
- You will need to share your co-traveler(s) contact details if you have booked more than one seat.
- Vehicle & Trip Leader details will be shared through a Whatsapp group on the trip day.
- Live location of the vehicle will be sent in group once it starts at first point.
- Please save Muddie Trails Whatsapp number 9827032009 to receive above updates.
- June to Sept (monsoon months): Thick clouds, persistent rains, leeches, plenty of water in Dudhsagar falls. We may not be allowed to take a dip in the natural pool because of the fierce force of water. Trekking is allowed in these 3 months only, as Jeeps which are operated by the local tourist boards, cannot pass by the streams.
- Oct to Dec (winter): As rains reduce, Jeeps take the turn of ferrying people to Dudhsagar. Trekking is banned at Dudhsagar once Jeep path clears. However, another waterfall called Tambdi Surla is good to trek in these months. You may refer to another trip itinerary named: “Dudhsagar Jeep Trails with Tambdi Surla Waterfalls trek.”
- Jan to May (winter, summer): As Dushsagar is a seasonal waterfall, water levels would have considerably reduced. Better to avoid Dushsagar in these months.
- Travel by Sleeper Train, Private Vehicle (Non AC)
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner (all veg)
- Stay (Private property, separate Dorms for each gender, with mattresses, attached washrooms, hot water)
- Forest department permissions, entry fees for both the treks
- Trek Leader & Local guide
- 1 Dinner (In train journey)
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above
Terms and Conditions:
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule shall be entertained. Do not give advice(s) to the Trip Leader(s) to change the itinerary.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for treks. There may be snakes, scorpions, and dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 50% refund shall be done if you inform us about your cancellation before 48 hours of the event start time. An email has to be sent to [email protected] to raise a cancellation request.
- No refund/postponing is allowed within 48 hours of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, Accident, Covid, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund/postponing is allowed for partial payment – booking fee – which is done to book your slot.
- No refund during/after the event.
Cancellation by Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails may decide to cancel the event if there are less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek.
What if we don’t get the minimum number of people for the trip?
We have 2 options in this case:
Option 1: Complete refund.
Option 2: Switch to any other trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
Cancellation due to external factors
Muddie Trails may have to cancel the event in case of external factors that are beyond our control like Natural Disasters, Extreme Weather Conditions, Red Alerts, Political Disturbances, Bandh/Curfews, Local Issues, Road Blocks, Train cancellations, Covid-19 or any other disease outbreaks etc.
In these scenarios:
- No Refund is allowed.
- 100% trip amount can be used for any other new trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
- Once you confirm your participation on the new trip, all the above Cancellation policies will apply for the same.
It falls under a moderate difficulty level. Even first-timers may attempt this trek. It gives a great experience of trekking in the wet and wild environment of dense rainforest.
It’s about 10 to 11 Km one way. However, it’s not really a steep trek. Anyone with little stamina will be able to do Dudhsagar trek.