Chikmagalur Backpacking Tripfrom
Chikmagalur Backpacking Trip from Hyderabad
A weekend trip to the coffee land of Chikmagalur with a trek to the highest peak Mullayanagiri, buttermilk waterfalls and many more attractions.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Easy
- Group Size Medium Group
Muddie Trails presents a fun-filled, action-packed weekend with Coffee estate Camping, trekking to the highest peak of Karnataka – Mullayannagiri, chilling dip in the Buttermilk waterfalls, plenty of beautiful places, outdoor games, good food and a lot of socializing, all in the beautiful mountains of Chikmagalur.
The coffee land of Karnataka, Chikmagalur located at a distance of 650 Km from Hyderabad is famous for its elegant hills and enchanting views, along with its aromatic coffee. Apart from being scenic, Chikmagalur is also a paradise for the trekking lovers who love to explore high mountains surrounded by rainforests. Bababudangiri mountain range offers spectacular landscapes of the Western Ghats with deep sudden dips. While monsoons fill the landscapes with misty clouds, drier months present cool breezes and peaceful sunsets.
We shall begin the trip with a refreshing sip under Buttermilk waterfalls. The only way to get to waterfalls is by having a bumpy Jeep which itself is fun. As the name suggests, water dripping from the boulders is almost as white as buttermilk. We shall take a shower, take numerous pics, and change to drier clothes. We shall go on a relatively easy trek of 3 Km (one way) to Mullayannagiri peak standing at 1930 meters above sea level. The trek path crisscrosses between rich forest and lush green meadows. There is a temple at the top from where we get a panoramic view of surrounding valleys. High altitude also attracts heavy winds. After spending an ample amount of time relaxing at the top, we will drive to the final place of the day, Bababudangiri range, which is as beautiful as it can get.
The next day we shall take a nature walk in the coffee estate, indulge in lots of outdoor activities at our campsite, followed by giving a visit to Chikmagalur town and the princess statue. After a bit of coffee tasting and shopping, we will have a pit stop at Hirekolale lake located in a beautiful setting.
Altogether, trekking and camping experience in Chikmagalur is a great treat you can gift yourself for a weekend.
Highlights of the Chikmagalur Trip:
- Hike to The highest peak of Karnataka Mullayannagiri
- Jeep ride to Buttermilk waterfalls with a nice dip
- Captivating views of Baba Budangiri mountain range
- Coffee Estate Nature Walk
- Different outdoor games at the Camp
- Beautiful Hirekolale Lake
- Campfire with a social gathering in the night
- Coffee shopping at a famous place
- Day 0 Schedule
- Start from Hyderabad in the evening, an overnight journey to Shimoga
- Day 1 Schedule
- Reach Shimoga, board our private vehicle.
- Freshen up and have breakfast at a restaurant. Note that there is no shower facility now. We are heading to waterfalls anyway as the first thing in Chikmagalur.
- Pass Chikmagalur town, go into the mountains.
- Jeep ride to Buttermilk waterfalls, take a rejuvenating dip under chilling fresh water.
- Finish a quick Lunch at a restaurant, drive to the base of Mullayannagiri mountain and start trekking up the highest peak of Karnataka.
- After soaking in the sun and witnessing amazing views from the highest point of Karnataka, trek back to base.
- Drive to stunning views of Baba Budengiri range, enjoy captivating views of the valley. On clear days, sunsets here are extremely serene and mesmerizing. On cloudy days this place is filled with mist and milky white clouds playing hide and seek with mountains.
- Head to our campsite, refresh, and relax.
- Campfire with music.
- Social gathering in the night with delicious dinner
- Day 2 Schedule
- Wake up, freshen up and have breakfast, pack your bags, and put them aside.
- Go on a beautiful Coffee estate nature walk, indulge in outdoor games like volleyball, shuttle, etc.
- Check out of the campsite, drive towards Chikmagalur town, visit Chikka magalu (Younger daughter) statue, taste, and shop your favorite coffee.
- Break for lunch at a local restaurant.
- Visit beautiful Hirekolale lake in the heart of picturesque estates and take lots of pictures.
- Drive back to Shimoga and reach by night, catch return Bus to Hyderabad.
- Day 3 Schedule
- Reach home in the morning.
- Share your experience of a cool and pleasant weekend trip to Chikmagalur with your friends and colleagues.
- Total slots for the trip: Usually 5 or more.
- Stay: At our beautiful campsite/homestay. (tents on 3 sharing, clean washrooms)
- Food: 1 Breakfast, 1 Dinner at our stay are included. Rest is self-sponsored.
- Trek difficulty: Easy to Moderate.
- Non AC Sleeper or AC Semi Sleeper between Hyderabad and Shimoga (Based on availability)
- Private vehicle between Shimoga and Chikmagalur (Non-AC Toofan/Sumo/Tempo or similar)
- Trip start time: Friday evening 6.30 PM
- Trip end time: Monday morning around 7 AM
- Pickup/Drop: MGBS
Things to carry for Chikmagalur Trip:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (no suitcase, no trolley)
- A small backpack for the trek, waterproof (to carry a water bottle, lunch packet, towel, etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rainproof jacket with a hood (from June to September)
- Cap/Hat/Sunscreen (to protect yourself from the Sun)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our campsite
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Good grip trekking shoes or sandals
- Your personal medications, if any
- Pair of water wear to take a dip in the waterfalls
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get cold at night
- Carry a lil bit of cash for lunches and misc. expenses
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks a few hours before the trip.
- You may say hi to other trekkers and get prepared for the trip.
- We will set expectations about the trip, remind you of important Terms & Conditions.
- June to Sept (monsoon): Monsoons bring the best out of Chikmagalur, like any other hill station. It rains persistently, filling up the streams and creating mini-waterfalls everywhere. There will be plenty of water at Buttermilk waterfalls. This means we may have to take a dip in the adjacent streams instead of going right under the falls.
- Oct to Jan (winter): Clouds will make way to clear blue skies. Nights will be colder. Plenty of water in the falls to take a shower. Amazing sunsets at Bababudangiri.
- Feb, May (summer): Dry climate. Still good for trekking with cheerful days and cold breeze. Landscapes are more brownish, a good time to escape the city, and its summer heat. Buttermilk waterfall usually has a good amount of water in summer also. Sunsets are pleasant.
What is the best time to travel to Chikmagalur?
- Chikmagalur is a hill station for all seasons. Summers are pleasant (Feb to May), Monsoons (Jun to Sept) have their own charm. Winters (Oct to Jan) are cool. One good thing about Chikmagalur is, there will be water in waterfalls all seasons. Because of high altitude, it attracts good amounts of rain and misty clouds.
- Food: 1 Breakfasts, 1 Dinner (veg & non-veg)
- Experience all the places in the Highlight section
- Buttermilk waterfalls jeep ride
- Outdoor/indoor games, Coffee estate nature walk, town visit
- Bonfire (if it doesn’t rain)
- Trip Leader
- A lot of action and entertainment!
- 4 Meals (Food while traveling)
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above.
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities.
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel, and stay.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted. Do not give advice(s) to the Organizer.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for trekkers. There may be snakes, scorpions, and other dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
- 80% refund if you inform about your cancellation before 48 hours of the event start time. (For places like Gandikota, Hampi, etc)
- For events that involve point-to-point bus/train booking, only a 50% refund shall be done if you inform about your cancellation before 48 hours of the event start time. (For places like Gokarna, Dandeli, etc)
- No refund within 48 hours of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, COVID, Accident, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund if you were not allowed to join the trip while boarding due to COVID symptoms. Refer to this COVID blog for details.
- No refund during/after the event.
- Registration fee or partial payment which is done to book your slot is non-refundable.
March 20, 2021 - March 21, 2021
Available (Starting Friday evening 6:30 PM - Return Monday morning 7 AM)