Wayanad Backpacking Trip | Hyderabadfrom
Wayanad Backpacking Trip | Hyderabad
Head to a pristine hill station with rich biodiversity, offering pretty views of rolling hills, a place where two mountain ranges – Eastern and the Western Ghats – meet.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Easy
- Group Size Small Group
Nestled among the mountains of the western ghats, Wayanad is one of the loveliest hill stations of southern India. There are many good things about Wayanad like full of greenery, misty mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lakes, dams, waterfalls, tea estates, coffee estates, panoramic views, and top of it all – pleasant climate most of the year. With its rich flora and fauna, Wayanad is part of the Nilgiris Biosphere Reserve. Wayanad is actually a large district that has varying altitudes between 700 meters and 2100 meters above sea level, which will appear in its climate as you pass by.
Well, if Wayanad is so big, then where all are we heading to?
We will start with our favorite place – waterfalls. Surrounded by greenery all around, the cool sparkling waters of Kanthanpara waterfalls will surely refresh your body. The falls are separated into different tiers making it look pretty. It’s a great place to spend a couple of hours easily.
An offbeat place called 900-Kandi, a pretty little secret of Wayanad which is not usually thronged by trekkers is next in our list. It is a lush green forest accompanied by grand views of rolling hills, making it ideal for trekking. There are some jeeps ferrying people up and down, but we will try to avoid them.
At the confluence of eastern and western ghats, Kurumbalakotta Mala sunrise trek is an enriching experience. While trekking, one would see mist-covered valleys and hills, rich vegetation, and towering mountains of Wayanad, including Chembra peak. The sun rays coming out of the thick fog is a sight to behold. You will surely see a number of people trekking along with our group, as it is located right in the heart of Wayanad district.
Places like Pookode lake and Lakkidi viewpoint are the tourist attractions we will tick off.
Banasura dam is another popular name in our journey. It is believed to be the largest earthen dam in the country. It’s always a serene experience spending time in front of such a huge water body. The icing on the cake is the view of the huge Banasura hill in the backdrop.
Overall, Wayanad has many out-of-ordinary places, which we will run-into on this backpacking trip. It’s time not to wait anymore.
It’s time to savor this wonderful experience.
Highlights of the Wayanad Trip:
- The Kurumbalakotta Mala Sunrise Trek
- Banasura Dam visit
- Kanthanpara Waterfalls Dip
- The thrills of 900-Kandi deep forest
- Lakkidi viewpoint
- Pookode lake
- Gorgeous Sunrise and Sunset
- Wayanad special food
- Day 0 Schedule
- Start from Hyderabad in the evening, an overnight journey to Mysore
- Day 1 Schedule
- Board our private vehicle in Mysore, freshen up at a restaurant (no shower at this point)
- Fuel up with a nice breakfast, start our journey towards Wayanad.
- Drive to Kanthanpara Waterfalls and take a dip in fresh mountain water
- Lunch at a local restaurant (Kerala meals).
- Head towards 900-Kandi which is in deep forest, hike up on a mix of mud and cement road in the jungle, walk along with tea/coffee estates. Visit the glass bridge that protrudes into the valley (slightly overrated, but you can try it if you wish).
- Reach Campsite located in an amazing hilltop setting by late evening, freshen up, enjoy a hot cup of evening tea in cold weather
- Bonfire with music between 9 to 10 PM. After this, we have to respect nature in Wayanad and enjoy our social gathering by sharing stories and playing games.
- Hot dinner with veg/chicken curry and ghee rice.
- Rest for the night in your assigned tents.
- Day 2 Schedule
- Wake up early morning, get set for the sunrise trek.
- Trek to Kurumbalakotta Mala which is located adjacent to the valley traversed by the Kabini river. This mountain offers a spectacular view of Wayanad and panoramic view of surrounding mountains, including Chembra peak, and deep valleys.
- Trek back to camp, have breakfast, pack your bags, check out of our campsite.
- Drive to Pookode Lake, go on Boating if you wish to.
- Have Lunch at a local restaurant. Note that food options are limited in this place. Travelers are advised to have whatever local food is available at that time.
- Stop by at Lakkidi viewpoint to take some pictures.
- Drive to Banasura Sagar Dam, explore the beautiful setting of Banasura mountain in the middle of Western Ghats, Say Bye to Wayanad, start back towards Mysore
- Board Hyderabad Bus, overnight journey
- Day 3 Schedule
- Reach home early in the morning.
- This trip involves basic facilities in terms of food, travel, and stay without any luxury, whatsoever.
- This is a group trip with shared model. It may not suit everyone – especially for those expecting privacy and comfort. It best suits for people who wish to socialize.
- Please do not book this trip if you are not okay with above points.
- Total slots for the trip: Usually 5 or more.
- Stay: At our beautiful hilltop campsite in the heart of Wayanad.
- Food: 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner included. Rest is self-sponsored.
- Trek difficulty: Easy to Moderate.
- AC Multi Axle Semi Sleeper Bus between Hyderabad and Mysore
- Private vehicle between Mysore and Wayanad (Non-AC Toofan/Sumo/Tempo or similar)
- Trip start time: Friday evening 5.30 PM
- Trip end time: Monday morning around 8 AM
- Pickup/Drop: MGBS
Things to Carry:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (no suitcase, no trolley)
- A small backpack for outdoors (to carry a water bottle, snacks, etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rainproof jacket with a hood (Sept, Oct)
- Cap/Hat (good to have)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our campsite
- Disposable garbage covers (to separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Good grip trekking shoes or sandals
- Your personal medications, if any
- Pair of water wear to take a dip in the waterfalls
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get cold at night
- Carry a lil bit of cash for Sunday Lunch, Dinner and misc. Expenses
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- Vehicle & Trip Leader details will be shared through a Whatsapp group on the trip day.
- Live location of the vehicle will be sent in group once it starts at first point.
- Please save Muddie Trails Whatsapp number 9827032009 to receive above updates.
- Sept to Feb (winter): Intermittent rains greet us in Sept and Oct, but the hill station would be fresh and pretty after monsoons. Dry and pleasant climate starts from Nov till Feb. Nights will be cold in all the months. Plenty of water in streams and waterfalls. Best time for camping and to take dips. The sky is ripe for amazing sunrises and sunsets.
- June to Aug (monsoon months): This is the wettest season. Wayanad gets plenty of rain during monsoons and is also prone to landslides. We don’t usually organize Wayanad in these months.
- Mar to May (summer): Gets hot. We don’t usually organize Wayanad in these months.
What is the best time to travel to Wayanad?
- 6 months of the year starting from Sept to Feb is the best time to travel to Wayanad.
- Monsoons (Jun to Aug) are very harsh in Wayanad with high rainfall.
- Summers (Mar to May) are hot because of less altitude. Best to avoid.
- Hilltop Camping (Tents on 2 or 3 sharing basis), clean washrooms
- Food: 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch (veg), 1 Dinner (veg and non-veg)
- Jeep ride at Camp
- Campfire (if it doesn’t rain) with group activities
- Experience all places mentioned in the Highlights section
- Entry charges for different places
- Trip Leader
- 1 Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (Food during travel)
- Charges for boating, glass bridge or any special activities
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule shall be entertained. Do not give advice(s) to the Trip Leader(s) to change the itinerary.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for treks. There may be snakes, scorpions, and dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 50% refund shall be done if you inform about your cancellation before 48 hours of the event start time
- No refund within 48 hours of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, Accident, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund during/after the event.
- Registration fee or partial payment which is done to book your slot is non-refundable.
- No refund if you drop out because of COVID.
- No refund if you are not allowed to join the trip while boarding due to COVID symptoms. Refer to this COVID blog for details.
- No refund if the event is cancelled/postponed because of COVID-induced lockdown/restrictions imposed by the government. In this case, your trip amount shall be used as credit for future trips.
Cancellation by Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails may decide to cancel the event if there are less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek.
What if we don’t get the minimum number of people for the trip?
We have 2 options in this case:
Option 1: Complete refund.
Option 2: Switch to any other trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.