Kodaikanal Trip, Vattakanal Trekfrom
Set out on an offbeat backpacking trip to the captivating town of Kodaikanal, also called “Princess of hill stations”.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeWeekend Trip/Trek
Activity Level Easy
Group Size Small Group
Kodaikanal. Sure you have heard this name before!
It’s one of the best hill stations in southern India with its altitude of 7000 feet above sea level, cold weather, dotted by Pine forests and aromatic Eucalyptus trees. Kodaikanal is also a famous honeymoon destination!
Kodaikanal translated as “fog on the hill”, is a place for all seasons like its cuisine sister Ooty in Nilgiris. Gifted with rich vegetation, one can easily spot different kinds of birds chirping around. These forests are also home to intimidating Bisons and other wild animals.
As part of this backpacking trip to Kodaikanal, we will explore the offbeat side of the pristine hill station. Away from main tourist attractions are colorful mountain villages interspersed with flawless lakes, deep valleys and pine forests. One such village is Poombarai, adorned with eye-catching step farming grounds on mountain slopes. The locals rely on agriculture here, growing carrots, spices, dry fruits, cocoa, natural oils from eucalyptus, lemongrass, pineapples, and some mountain fruits.
While tasting some of them, we will visit rabbit and sheep farms overlooking picturesque Mannavannur lake. We will also explore a pretty wooden bridge at the far end of the lake by a small nature walk. There are even coracles circling waters of this lake managed by the forest department.
After crisscrossing between famous and offbeat places, we will traverse narrow winding lanes of Vattakanal village that attracts a lot of backpackers and hippies, especially from Israel. A trek to Dolphin’s Nose, a rock protruding from an edge of a cliff, overlooking a deep valley is both enthralling and thrilling.
We will also indulge in a village walk, and end the trip with cycling around Kodaikanal’s lake. It’s a shoppers’ paradise too with spices, chocolates, oils, and what not!
Highlights of the Kodaikanal Trip:
- Vattakanal Dolphin’s Nose Trek
- Pristine Mannavanur Lake
- Poombarai Village view
- Rabbit/Sheep Farm
- Village walk
- Cycling around Kodaikanal Lake
- Kodaikanal shopping
- Campfire in chilling climate
- Lovely homestay away from the town
- Good local food
Join us on:
Check us out on:
(4.9 ⭐200+ reviews)—– (4.8 ⭐950+ reviews)
Join us on:
- Start from Bangalore, an overnight journey
- Drive to Kodaikanal, check into our homestay, freshen up
- Have a fulfilling Breakfast
- Go for a village walk, explore step mountain fields, converse with locals
- Delicious Lunch at our Homestay
- Visit few tourist attractions like Pine Forest, Guna Caves and Pillar Rocks en route a quieter place – Vattakanal village
- Take a stroll in the streets of this Hippie haven, taste food/drinks at a local cafe
- Set off on a trek to thrilling Dolphin Nose, by hiking down the hill on a rocky path interspersed by roots of big trees.
- While posing for pictures at Dolphin’s nose, mind your feet and take good care of yourself, for it is very dangerous
- Get back to homestay, hot tea in the evening chill
- Bonfire in the cold weather with hot dinner
- Have those long conversations all of us have been longing for, indulge in some group activities organized by your trip leader
- Rest for the night on your cozy beds
- Start the day with a nice breakfast
- Pack your bags, say bye to the homestay
- Hit the mountains, drive through picturesque valleys & curved roads to the beautiful Poombarai village
- Visit Rabbit farm, pose with them, munch freshly grown sweet carrots, pineapple and other fruits overlooking picturesque Mannavanur lake
- Visit Mannavanur lake conserved by the Forest department. Go on an optional coracle ride if you wish to.
- Small nature walk around the lake to reach a wooden bridge and pose for innumerable pictures
- Have Lunch at a local restaurant (Note that food options are limited in this remote location)
- Stop by at Poombarai village for hot tea, take some snaps of steep mountain fields
- Get back to Kodai town, go on a famous Cycling if you wish to, shop your bags full of spices, eucalyptus oil, chocolates at a flea market near the lake
- Head back towards BLR, dinner on our way
- Total slots for the trip: Usually 10 or more
- Stay: At our home stay away from Kodaikanal town
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner included. Rest is self-sponsored.
- Trek difficulty: Easy to moderate
- Tempo or mini-bus depending on final numbers (Non-AC)
- Starting time: Friday night 9 PM
- Ending time: Monday morning 6 AM
- Pick up spots: Tin Factory, Indiranagar, Koramangala, Silk Board, Electronic City
What’s next after booking your trip:
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks night before the trip
- You may say hi to other travelers and get prepared for the trip
- We will set expectations about the trip, remind you on important Terms & Conditions
- Feb to May (summer): Pleasant climate during days, clear skies, cold nights. Time to escape the heat of Bangalore and hit the mountains.
- June to Sept (monsoon months): Thick clouds, intermittent rains, wet climate. Weather is highly unpredictable, so we need to carry rain coats. The place really comes alive during the monsoons like all hill stations.
- Oct to Jan (winter): Dry and cold climate throughout the day. Very cold at night. Plenty of water in the lakes. Need to carry thick sweaters.
- Homestay (rooms on 3 to 4 sharing with attached bathrooms)
- Food: 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch (veg), 1 Dinner (veg and non-veg)
- Mannavanur Lake, Poombarai village visit
- Vattakanal trek, visit to tourist attractions
- Campfire (if it doesn’t rain)
- Organizer(s) from MT
- Lunch, Dinner on Day 2
- Cycling, coracle or any special activity
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities.
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel and stay.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted. Do not give advice(s) to the Organizer.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for trekkers. There may be snakes, scorpions and other dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand cancelled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s) and/or involving in physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc. Read it here.
- 80% refund if a cancellation request is sent before 48 hours of the trip start time.
- No refund if a cancellation request is sent within 48 hours of the trip start time, whatever be the reason (health, family, work issues, accident, etc.)
- No refund during or after the trip, whatever be the reason.
- No refund on the partial payment done to block your seat for the trip.
Stop 1: 9:00 PM
Tin Factory Bus stop
- Towards HP Petrol pump side
- Underfoot over bridge
Stop 2: 9:15 PM
Indiranagar 100 Feet Road
- Opposite Barbeque Nation
- Just in front of Domlur Fly Over
Stop 3: 9:35 PM
Koramangala – Sony World Signal
- Just in front of Sony World Bus stop
- On Intermediate Feet Road
Stop 4: (10:15 PM – 10:30 PM) Based on the traffic
- Silk Board Junction – end of flyover towards EC,
- Just in-front of Aswad Hospital
Stop 5: (10:45 PM – 11:00 PM) Based on the traffic
- Toll Plaza at the end of Electronic City flyover on Hosur road
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (no suitcase, no trolley)
- A small backpack for outdoors (to carry a water bottle, snacks, etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rainproof jacket with a hood (from June to Nov)
- Cap/Hat (good to have)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our homestay
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Good grip trekking shoes or sandals
- Your personal medications, if any
- Pair of water wear to take a dip in the waterfalls/sea
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get cold at night
- Carry a lil bit of cash for Sunday Lunch, Dinner, and misc. Expenses
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
Kodaikanal is a place for all seasons. Every season offers something special. In monsoons, one can witness river streams and brimming Lakes. Winters are very cold and misty. Summers are very pleasant and offer clear views but less water in lakes. Common throughout the year is its cold climate.
Read the detailed Terms and Conditions here.
Got more questions? Check out here!