Gandikota Camping, Belum Caves | Hyderabadfrom
Gandikota Camping with Belum Caves | Hyderabad
The Grand Canyon of India as it is called, Gandikota offers spectacular gorges cut through Erramala Hills by Penna river, as well as a great camping experience.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Easy
- Group Size Small Group
Muddie Trails presents an alluring combination of beautiful Gandikota canyons with magnificent Belum caves this weekend.
Gandikota, located at a distance of 380 Km from Hyderabad, is known for its spectacular gorge formed by river Penna that cuts through the Erramala hills. This handsome piece of nature’s architecture is called the Grand Canyon of India by travelers who are fascinated by its unmatched beauty. A visit to this remote village in Andhra Pradesh is all the more enticing for its camping experience and a bit of trekking to the river to indulge in swimming.
Belum Caves are the second-longest caves in the Indian subcontinent open to the public. These caves are more than a thousand years old and were formed by constant flow of underground water over a period of time.
On the first day, we shall go trekking down to the Penna river, indulge in swimming with life jackets, go on a coracle ride if available. We will also visit a seasonal waterfall that is active from July till Dec. There are different places to explore like a fort, old temple, food storage units, and other monuments. We will top it up with the Canyon view in the evening. A profile picture overlooking the stunning gorge is every traveler’s dream. Camping close to the canyon is another beautiful experience of this trip. Get prepared to taste spicy and tasty Rayalaseema food.
The next day, we shall visit the Mylavaram dam where all the water draining from Gandikota gorges is stored for irrigation purposes. It’s a huge water body where we can go right on top of a reservoir that makes it all the more exciting to click some cool pictures.
We will follow it up by a visit to Belum caves to explore the world underground. The unique stone formations inside the caves form narrow routes one has to crouch and squeeze to get through. Don’t worry, it’s well lit and aerated inside, so you wouldn’t feel suffocated.
Come, join us on this fun-filled weekend trip to Gandikota and Belum caves.
Highlights of the Gandikota Trip:
- The Grand Canyon view
- Gandikota Fort ruins like the old temple, prison
- Swimming with life jackets
- Mylavaram Dam
- Belum Caves
- Amazing sunrise and sunset from the gorge
- Camping close to Canyon
- Music and games
- Spicy Andhra food
A complete travel story!
- Day 0 Schedule
- Start from Hyderabad, an overnight journey
- Day 1 Schedule
- Reach Gandikota tourist house early morning, freshen up and have a breakfast
- Head out to the Penna river on a mini-trek to the bottom of the Gandikota gorge, play in the waterfall or river, indulge in swimming with life jackets
- Head back to our restaurant to have lunch, relax for an hour
- Walk to the old Fort, explore different places like prison, old temple, ruins, etc.
- Visit The Grand Canyon which is on rocky terrain, do a lot of self-styled bouldering by waking up the monkey inside us. Mind your foot though for it can be dangerous.
- Shout out loud into the valley to listen to your echo from different directions!
- Enjoy a peaceful sunset at the gorges
- Reach our campsite of tents pitched in the form of a circle. There are neat and clean private washrooms close to the camp for our night use.
- Revel in the warmth of the campfire, indulge in group activities
- Hot and spicy dinner and social gathering with music till late night
- Day 2 Schedule
- Start the day with breakfast
- Head to Mylavaram reservoir, marvel at the huge water body and scenic landscape
- Drive to Belum caves, visit the amazing caves and get to experience a small world underground
- Take a group picture with the giant Buddha statue overlooking the caves
- Have lunch at a local restaurant in the village. Note that there are limited food options available in this remote location.
- Start back to Hyderabad, reach home by night
- Share your gorgeous Gandikota and Belum caves weekend trip story with your friends and family
- Total slots for the trip: Usually 10 or more
- Stay: Camping in the tents (3 sharing), Govt. Tourist home washrooms for freshening up!
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch (veg), 1 Dinner (veg and non-veg) included
- Trek difficulty level: Easy
- Trek distance: 4 Km up and down
- Tempo or mini-bus depending on final numbers (Non-AC)
- Starting time: Friday night 10 PM
- Ending time: Sunday night around 9 PM
- Pickup / Drop spots: Kondapur, Gachibowli, Thondapalli ORR
What’s next after booking your trip:
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks night before the trip.
- You may say hi to other travelers and get prepared for the trip.
- We will set expectations about the trip, remind you of important Terms & Conditions.
- June to mid-Sept (monsoons): It’s a slight rain shadowed place, but may get intermittent rains which provide a respite from usually hot weather. The river will have a good amount of water.
- Mid Sept to Feb (winter): Good time for camping. These months bring lots of backpackers to Gandikota. Best for peaceful sunrise and sunset.
- Mar to May (summer): Gets really hot. We usually don’t organize Gandikota in these months.
- Stay at our campsite (tents on 2 and 3 sharing basis)
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch (veg), 1 Dinner (veg & non veg)
- Experience all places in Highlights section
- Swimming with life jackets
- Belum caves entry
- Bonfire (if it doesn’t rain at that time)
- Music and dance under open sky
- Organizer(s) from MT
- A hell lot of entertainment!
- Lunch Day 2
- Coracle or any special activities
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above.
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities.
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel and stay.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted. Do not give advice(s) to the Organizer.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for trekkers. There may be snakes, scorpions and other dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand cancelled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s) and/or involving in physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc. Read it here.
- 80% refund if cancellation request is sent before 48 hours of trip start time.
- No refund if a cancellation request is sent within 48 hours of the trip start time, whatever be the reason (health, family, work issues, accident, etc.)
- No refund during or after the trip, whatever be the reason.
- No refund on the partial payment done to block your seat for the trip.
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (no suitcase, no trolley)
- A small backpack for outdoors (to carry water bottle, snacks, towel etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rain proof jacket with a hood (from June to September)
- Full sleeve cotton t shirt, track pant is advised as it’s a hot place (Oct to Feb)
- Cap/Hat/Sunscreen (to avoid getting tanned bigtime)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our campsite
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Any kind of sandals or shoes are fine
- Your personal medications, if any
- Waterwear if you wish to take a dip in the Lake
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry a lil bit of cash for Sunday lunch, dinner and misc. expenses
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
There are two best seasons to visit Gandikota – monsoons, and winter.
- Monsoons (Jun to Sept) offer a pleasant climate to explore Gandikota which is a naturally hot place because of its rocky terrain. Plenty of water in the river is a nice attraction.
- Winter (Oct to Feb) presents hot days and pleasant nights. Taking shower in the river/waterfall gives much-needed respite. Lovely sunsets and sunrises.
Read the detailed Terms and Conditions here.
Got more questions? Check out here!
March 13, 2021 - March 14, 2021
Unavailable (Starts Friday night 10PM - Return Sunday night 10PM)