Wayanad Backpacking Tripfrom
Wayanad Backpacking Trip from Bengaluru
Head to a pristine hill station with rich biodiversity, offering pretty views of rolling hills, a place where two mountain ranges – Eastern and the Western Ghats – meet.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Easy
- Group Size Small Group
Nestled among the mountains of the western ghats, Wayanad is one of the loveliest hill stations of southern India. There are many good things about Wayanad like full of greenery, misty mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lakes, dams, waterfalls, tea estates, coffee estates, historical caves, panoramic views, and top of it all – pleasant climate most of the year. With its rich flora and fauna, Wayanad is part of the Nilgiris Biosphere Reserve. Wayanad is actually a large district that has varying altitudes between 700 meters and 2100 meters above sea level, which will appear in its climate as you pass by.
Well, if Wayanad is so big, then where all are we heading to?
To start with, we will explore Edakkal caves that are home to one of the oldest human settlements with their rock engravings of the pre-historic era as proof. This hike of 45 mins will be a nice warm-up for our trip. A pleasant view from the top of the caves will compensate for any loss of energy.
An offbeat place called 900-Kandi, a pretty little secret of Wayanad which is not usually thronged by trekkers is next in our list. It is a lush green forest accompanied by grand views of rolling hills, making it ideal for trekking. There are some jeeps ferrying people up and down.
The next day, we will visit tourist attractions like Meenmutty waterfalls, Banasura Sagar dam and Karlad lake. Banasura is believed to be the largest earthen dam in the country. It’s always a serene experience spending time in front of such a huge water body, especially waiting for the sunset. The icing on the cake is the view of the huge Banasura hill in the backdrop. For those who are interested, Karlad Lake has Boating and Ziplining.
Overall, Wayanad has many out-of-ordinary places, which we will run-into on this backpacking trip.
It’s time to travel Wayanad. It’s time to savor this wonderful hill station.
Highlights of the Wayanad Trip:
- Banasura Sagar visit
- Meenmutty Waterfalls
- Edakkal Caves exploration
- The thrills of 900-Kandi deep forest
- Karlad lake
- Plantation Walk & Tea Museum
- Gorgeous Sunrise and Sunset
- Authentic local food
- Day 0 Journey to Wayanad!
- Start from Bangalore, an overnight journey
- Day 1 Edakkal Caves, 900 Kandi exploration
- Cross Karnataka-Kerala border and head towards mountains of Wayanad.
- Freshen up and fuel up with authentic Kerala Breakfast like Puttu or Appam and Chana Masala.
- Drive to Edakkal Caves base point, climb up, explore stone age carvings and enjoy a nice view from the top.
- Head towards 900-Kandi which is in deep forest, hike up on a mix of mud and cement road in the jungle, walk along with tea/coffee estates. Visit the glass bridge that protrudes into the valley.
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Head to the stay located in an amazing hilltop setting by late evening, refresh with evening Tea.
- Bonfire with music between 8 to 10 PM. After this, we have to respect nature in Wayanad and enjoy our social gathering by sharing stories and playing games.
- Hot dinner served in the cold climate.
- Rest for the night on your assigned beds.
- Day 2 Tea Museum, Meenmutty Falls, Banasura, Karlad Lake, Return to Bangalore
- Wake up to the misty morning weather and fresh breeze of tea estates.
- Go for a plantation nature walk around the Tea estate.
- Have Breakfast, pack your bags, check out of our stay.
- Visit Tea Museum and click loads of pictures.
- Head to Meenmutty Waterfalls that is safely guarded by forest department and tourists can take a dip in the stream.
- Have Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Explore Karlad Lake, go on optional Boating if you wish to. Time permits, there is an option of Ziplining also.
- Visit Banasura Sagar Dam, explore the beautiful setting of Banasura mountain in the middle of Western Ghats.
- Start return journey back towards Bangalore, stop for quick Dinner at a Dhaba, reach home very early in the morning.
- This trip involves basic facilities in terms of food, travel, and stay without any luxury, whatsoever.
- This is a group trip with shared model. It may not suit everyone – especially for those expecting privacy and comfort. It best suits for people who wish to socialize.
- Please do not book this trip if you are not okay with above points.
- Tempo Traveler or Mini Bus (with push back seats).
- Note: This trip involves overnight journey on a push back Seater (Not sleeper or semi-sleeper).
- We request you to book this trip only if you can handle slight discomfort (especially last row of the vehicle).
- At our beautiful hilltop Backpackers Hostel in the heart of Wayanad.
- Female Dormitory beds and Male Dormitory beds (on sharing basis), clean washrooms, delicious food.
- 2 Breakfasts, 1 Dinner included. Rest is self-sponsored.
- Please check Inclusions, Exclusions of Wayanad Trip below for complete list of things included in your trip cost.
Christmas / New Year Weekend Disclaimer ⚠️:
- Places in Wayanad can be really crowded and roads can be jammed because of holiday season.
- It can cause inconvenience at certain places of our itinerary. Sometimes there is an outside chance to miss a place or two.
- Book this trip only of you are okay with this fact.
- We request to strictly follow timings set by organizers. This can help us in getting ahead of the crowd.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- A Whatsapp group shall be created on the trip day and Vehicle & Trip Leader details will be shared.
- This trip involves traveling with strangers and night stays (if any). Please be mindful that:
- It is mandatory to share your personal information with the team along with a copy of your government approved ID card.
- You will need to share your co-traveler(s) details if you have booked more than one seat.
- Live location of the vehicle will be sent in the group once it starts at the first point.
Tin Factory: 10:15 PM
• Tin Factory Bus Stop towards Temple side
Marathahalli: 10:45 PM
• In front of HP world on service road
• Opposite side of Mahindra Showroom
Silk Board: 11:15 PM
• In front of Central Silk Board building
RR Nagar: 11:45 PM
• On Mysore Road
• Infront of Gopalan Mall – RR Nagar
- Sept to Feb (winter): Intermittent rains greet us in Sept and Oct, but the hill station would be fresh and pretty after monsoons. Dry and pleasant climate starts from Nov till Feb. Nights will be cold in all the months. Plenty of water in streams and waterfalls. Best time for camping and to take dips. The sky is ripe for amazing sunrises and sunsets.
- June to Aug (monsoon months): This is the wettest season. Wayanad gets plenty of rain during monsoons, and is also prone to landslides. We don’t usually organize Wayanad in these months.
- Mar to May (summer): Gets hot. We don’t usually organize Wayanad in these months.
Things to carry:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (no suitcase, no trolley)
- A small backpack for outdoors (to carry water bottle, snacks etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rain proof jacket with a hood (Sept, Oct)
- Cap/Hat (good to have)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our campsite
- Disposable garbage covers (to separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Good grip trekking shoes or sandals
- Your personal medications, if any
- Pair of water wear to take a dip in the waterfalls
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get cold at night
- Carry a lil bit of cash for Sunday Lunch, Dinner and misc. Expenses
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
- Travel (Tempo traveler, Non AC)
- Stay (Dormitories on sharing basis)
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 1 Dinner (Veg and Non-veg)
- Jeep ride for 900 Kandi
- Entry charges for Karlad, Meenmutty, Banasura, Tea Museum, Edakkal Caves
- Visit to places mentioned in the Highlights section
- Campfire (if it doesn’t rain) with group activities
- Trip Leader(s)
- Lunches, Dinner on Day 2
- Boating, 900 Kandi Glass Bridge entry, Zipline or any special activities
- Any misc. expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above
Terms & Conditions:
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule shall be entertained. Do not give advice(s) to the Trip Leader(s) to change the itinerary.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for treks. There may be snakes, scorpions, and dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 80% refund/100% postponement if you inform about your cancellation before 48 hours of the event start time. An email has to be sent to email@example.com to raise a cancellation request.
- No refund/postponing is allowed within 48 hours of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, Accident, Covid, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund/postponing is allowed for partial payment – booking fee – which is done to book your slot.
- No refund during/after the event.
Cancellation by Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails may decide to cancel the event if there are less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek.
What if we don’t get the minimum number of people for the trip?
We have 2 options in this case:
Option 1: Complete refund.
Option 2: Switch to any other trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
Cancellation due to external factors
Muddie Trails may have to cancel the event in case of external factors that are beyond our control like Natural Disasters, Extreme Weather Conditions, Red Alerts, Political Disturbances, Bandh/Curfews, Local Issues, Road Blocks, Train cancellations, Covid-19 or any other disease outbreaks etc.
In these scenarios:
- No Refund is allowed.
- 100% trip amount can be used for any other new trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
- Once you confirm your participation on the new trip, all the above Cancellation policies will apply for the same.