Nilgiris Road Trip (Offbeat Ooty)from
The Nilgiris Road Trip – Offbeat Ooty
A road trip that takes you to gorgeous Nilgiris Biosphere which is filled with splendid tea estates, pristine lakes, majestic mountains, dense sholas, and deep valleys.
- Reviews 1 Review5/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Easy
- Group Size Small Group
Do you wanna explore the quaint little villages in the Nilgiris mountain range?
How about unwinding at majestic lakes like Emerald & Avalanche?
A drive through absolutely amazing views of majestic mountains that are older than the Himalayas?
Take Bollywood style selfies amidst beautiful Tea estates?
Get thrilled by Shola forests so dense that feels like even flies can’t pass through?
Get chilled and have garam chai in the mountains?
Or just put your feet in a river stream & feel how beautiful life can get while traveling!
A little bit of wildlife maybe?
Nilgiris offers everything above and a lot of peace of mind.
Let’s know a bit more about this pretty hill station:
Nilgiris, translated as “Blue mountains” is a fairyland in the tri-junction of 3 southern Indian states – Karnataka, Tamilnadu, and Kerala. There are cloud kissing mountains, dense forests, rushing streams, undulating planes, breathtaking views of sudden drops, deep valleys, charming meadows. The Nilgiris biosphere is unique for its altitude as well as a unique ecosystem. It boasts of the most popular tourist destination in the South of India called Ooty as its capital.
The best thing about Nilgiris is its cold climate throughout the year. Ooty attracts lots of tourists in summertime. But not many of them spill into the offbeat side of Nilgiris. This road trip is exactly about that offbeat, unseen, untouched side of Nilgiris. We will stay at a village homestay in the heart of Nilgiris. We will drive deeper into the villages, tea estates, and mountains. We will experience nature in its purest form.
At a distance of roughly 270 Km, The Nilgiris (offbeat Ooty) makes a great weekend getaway from Bangalore.
Highlights of the Nilgris Trip:
- Road Trip to unseen and untouched Nilgiris
- Most beautiful Emerald & Avalanche Lakes
- Freshwater streams and waterfalls
- The silent valley & misty mountains
- Tea estate nature walk
- Ooty Chocolate/Tea Factory visit
- Magnificent Pykara Lake visit
- Evening drive through Bandipur Reserve Forest
- Comfortable Guesthouse with cozy beds and hot water
- Good local food
Join us on:
Check us out on:
(4.9 ⭐200+ reviews)—– (4.8 ⭐950+ reviews)
Join us on:
- Day 0 Schedule
- Start from Bangalore, overnight journey
- Day 1 Schedule
- Head towards NH44 via Mettupalyam and reach our Nilgiris village Guesthouse around 9 AM.
- Have breakfast, grab your packet of lunch from your trip leader. The Roadtrip starts now!
- Drive deep into Nilgiris enjoying scenic views of tea estates and colorful villages.
- Visit picturesque Emerald & Avalanche Lakes, click a hundred selfies. Put your feet in the chilled fresh water, relax and rejuvenate.
- Have your lunch overlooking beautiful lakes.
- Go on a picturesque road trip into Nilgiris, stop in the quaint little villages to experience the culture, stop over at a chilling stream formed by a mini-waterfall, witness the most beautiful tea estates with 360-degree views, enjoy the stunning silent valley view & misty mountains for a peaceful sunset.
- Look out for wildlings in the dense Shola forests, enjoy a warm cup of tea in the village.
- Head back to the Guesthouse, refresh.
- Social gathering with long conversations, sharing travel stories.
- We can play soft music, sing, dance, group activities, and whatnot!
- Hot dinner served on a really cold night.
- Rest in the rooms, tucked up with thick blankets.
- Day 2 Schedule
- Freshen up, have Breakfast.
- Pack your bags, check out of the Guesthouse.
- Stroll around the Tea estate overlooking a deep valley, go for a nature walk.
- Drive towards Ooty Tea cum Chocolate factory, taste different kinds of Chai, shop for your favorite Nilgiris Tea.
- Break for Lunch at a local restaurant
- Stop by at famous Pykara Lake, go on boating, munch some street food.
- Start back towards Bangalore, drive through Bandipur and Madhumalai Wildlife sanctuaries whilst spotting Deer, Peacock, different species of birds, mammals, and if lucky, the Elephants.
- A stopover for dinner at a Dhaba close to Mysore.
- Reach home before midnight.
- Stay: We have a village guesthouse in the heart of Nilgiris overlooking Tea Estates. There are big/small rooms with comfortable bedding, hot water, and even a kitchen (just in case you wish to cook something for the night). Your trip leader will assign your room based on the combination of people. As always, separate rooms for men and women.
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner (All veg) included. The rest of the meals are self-sponsored.
- Trek difficulty: No trekking involved.
- Tempo or mini-bus depending on final numbers (Non-AC)
- Starting time: Friday night 9 PM
- Ending time: Sunday post-mid-night around 11 PM to 1 AM
Tin Factory: 9:00 PM Marathahalli: 9:20 PM Central Silk Board Bus Stop: 9:50 PM Electronics City: 10:10 PM
Tin Factory: 9:00 PM
Marathahalli: 9:20 PM
Central Silk Board Bus Stop: 9:50 PM
Electronics City: 10:10 PM
Things to carry:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the trip (avoid suitcase/trolley)
- A small backpack for outdoors (to carry a water bottle, lunch pack, etc)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- Poncho or rainproof jacket with a hood (from June to Nov)
- Cap/Hat (good to have)
- Sunglasses (to keep your eyes fresh)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our homestay
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, dry/wet clothes)
- Your personal medications, if any
- Carrying a handwash/sanitizer/tissues will help during the trip
- Carry your jerkin/sweater – it can get very cold at night.
- Carry a bit of cash for the meals which are not included and misc expenses.
- Don’t carry expensive items. You are responsible for your own belongings.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks a few hours before the trip.
- You may say hi to other trekkers and get prepared for the trip.
- We will set expectations about the trip, remind you of important Terms & Conditions.
- Feb to May (summer): Pleasant climate during days, clear skies, cold nights. Time to escape the heat of Bangalore and hit the mountains. Exquisite sunrise and sunsets.
- June to Sep (South West Monsoons): Thick clouds, weather is unpredictable with intermittent rains, so we need to carry raincoats. The mountains really come alive during the monsoons like all hill stations.
- Oct, Nov (North-East Monsoons): The returning North East monsoons bring plenty of showers in these two months. These are the main source of water for Nilgiris. Traveling would be a little difficult this time of the year because of persistent rains.
- Oct to Jan (winter): Dry and cold climate throughout the day. Very cold at night. Plenty of water in streams and waterfalls. Need to carry thick sweaters.
Best time for Nilgiris:
- Nilgiris is a place for all seasons. Every season offers something special. In monsoons, one can witness streams and waterfalls in full flow. Winters are very cold and misty. Summers are very pleasant and offer clear views. Common throughout the year is its cold climate.
- Travel by pushback Tempo/Minibus (Non-AC)
- Stay at a Guesthouse (rooms on sharing basis)
- Food: 2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner (All veg)
- Experience all places in the “Highlights” section
- All entry tickets
- Trip Leader
- 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner
- Any misc expenses not mentioned in the inclusions above
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities.
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel, and stay.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted. Do not give advice(s) to the Organizer.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for trekkers. There may be snakes, scorpions, and other dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 80% refund if you inform about your cancellation before 48 hours of the event start time.
- No refund within 48 hours of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, Accident, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund during/after the event.
- Registration fee or partial payment which is done to book your slot is non-refundable.
- No refund if you drop out because of COVID.
- No refund if you are not allowed to join the trip while boarding due to COVID symptoms. Refer to this COVID blog for details.
- No refund if the event is cancelled because of COVID-induced lockdown/restrictions imposed by the government. In this case, your trip amount shall be used as credit for future trips.
May 1, 2021 - May 2, 2021
Unavailable (Starting Friday night 10 PM - Ending Sunday midnight)
May 15, 2021 - May 16, 2021
Available (Starting Friday night 10 PM - Ending Sunday midnight)
May 29, 2021 - May 30, 2021
Available (Starting Friday night 10 PM - Ending Sunday midnight)