The Mesmerising Meghalaya Trip | Muddie Trailsfrom
The Mesmerising Meghalaya Trip
This backpacking trip takes you on a journey to one of the most beautiful and warm welcoming states of India: The Meghalaya.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Easy
Group Size Small Group
There are many amazing things about Meghalaya state like the Floating Clouds (that’s the first thing comes to mind), the high rise mountains, Rainforests formed by wettest places on Earth, stunning Deep Valleys, crystal Clear Waters of Rivers and Streams, gigantic Waterfalls, long and mystical Caves, Living Root Bridges that act as harmony between Humans and Nature over centuries, some of the Cleanest Villages, diverse spread of Food, colorful Locals and unique Culture.
As part of this backpacking trip, we at Muddie Trails handpicked destinations in the abode of clouds that will refresh your body, mind and awaken your soul. We will experience the place in full glory, create memories, and sketch beautiful stories to tell even long after.
We will start the trip with Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya, which is also the highest point of the state. It boasts a cold climate most of the year. It has a unique cuisine with tasty food, friendly locals, great for shopping especially the winter wear. After exploring plenty of local attractions in Shillong, and thrilling views of Laitlum Grand Canyons, we will move deeper into East Khasi Hills towards the crystal clear waters of Krang Suri waterfalls, explore the transparent Umngot river of Dawki and indulge in adrenaline-pumping water activities of Shnongpdeng. We then head towards some of the wettest places on earth like Cherrapunji, explore umpteen viewpoints, cleanest villages, deep Mawsmai caves, pristine valleys, and numerous waterfalls like Nohkalikal over there. We will set off on a wild & wet trek to fascinating Double Decker Living Root Bridges and magical Rainbow Waterfalls. After soul-soothing dips in the natural swimming pools of lush blue waters, we will end the trip at Shillong while packing our bags full of souvenirs, with a mind full of beautiful memories.
All in all, Meghalaya is a natural wonder that cannot be missed in your lifetime. Come, join us to experience life at its fullest in this backpacking trip to Meghalaya.
Highlights of the Meghalaya Trip:
- The Double Decker Living Root Bridges
- Shillong View Point, Museum, Golf Club
- Laitlum Grand Canyons
- Crystal clear Umngot River
- Dawki expedition
- Shnongpdeng Water Activities
- Lush Blue Krang Suri Waterfalls Dip
- Trek to pristine Rainbow Waterfalls
- Cherrapunji – Wettest place on Earth
- Mawsmai caves exploration
- Nohkalikai Falls – World’s 4th largest Waterfalls
- Mawlynnong Asia’s cleanest Village
- Umiam Lake
Join us on:
Check us out on:
(4.9 ⭐200+ reviews)—– (4.8 ⭐950+ reviews)
Join us on:
Guwahati Pick up
- Travelers coming by Train or Flight, we will all assemble at Guwahati Airport at 5 PM and get picked by our Organizer
- If you arrive early to Guwahati, you may visit some local attractions like Kamakhya temple and Brahmaputra river cruise
- We shall drive towards the mountain town of Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya and the highest point in the state
- Check into our guest house and rest on the cozy beds.
- Head to Shillong viewpoint which gives a panoramic view of the city and makes you fall in love with Meghalaya at first sight
- Visit the Shillong Museum and get to know about local tribes, their cultures, and traditions
- Drive to Laitlum Grand Canyon, which offers a spectacular valley of East Khasi Hills of Meghalaya with a great sudden dip. We can go down the stairs of the valley and view a waterfall
- Head back to the town, street walk and try local food
- Rest for the night.
The Clear Blue Waterfall
- Start the day with a visit to Shillong Golf Club that sprawls across huge green carpet grassland, take a lot of DP pictures!
- Drive towards Jarain Pitcher Plant Lake, enjoy offbeat setting
- Visit the most beautiful and lush bluish Krang Suri Waterfalls, take a dip in the chilling water with life jackets
- Head to Dawki where Umngot river enters Bangladesh from Meghalaya, peek into the border
- Visit Shnongpdeng suspension Bridge above the Umngot river and spend a relaxing evening
- Rest in our guest house rooms/tents.
Snongpdang and Maulynnong
- Indulge in Shnongpdeng Water activities like boating, swimming, cliff jumping, kayaking, etc based on their availability at that time
- Give a visit to Asia’s cleanest village Mawlynnong, a bamboo made Bangladesh viewpoint, the famous Living Root Bridge of Riwai and the balancing rocks
- Drive towards Shillong by late evening
- Rest in our guest house.
- Start the day early, head towards Cherrapunji town which is also called Shora in the local language.
- On our way, stop by at Mawkdok Dympep Valley View Point, to get sight of huge Cherrapunji valley
- Explore the breathtaking maze of caves called Mawsmai caves for next few hours
- Visit Nohkalikai Falls (or Seven Sisters waterfalls) whichever has more water at that time, one of the many waterfalls close to the wettest place on Earth
- Head back to Cherrapunji town and rest in our guest house.
Nongriat Trek down to heaven
- Today we shall start the day early and trek down to Nongriat Village Double Decker Living Root Bridges
- The 3641 steps into the valley to the village will take us to the most offbeat place of Meghalaya where we will spend the rest of the day and night
- After marveling at the huge Double Decker structure constructed by generations of humans by carefully bending roots of Rubber trees for centuries, continue trekking into the jungle another 1.5 hours to reach breathtaking Rainbow Waterfalls.
- A dip in the chilling water is absolutely delightful and refreshing after a long trek. If we get sunshine at that time, there is every chance to spot Rainbow at the falls
- Stay at village dorms overnight with basic facilities.
Trek back to Earth
- Trek up to the Tyrna village before noon. The climbing up of 3600 odd stairs will be quite challenging, but can be done in 3 hours easily
- Start driving back towards Shillong, time to shop our bags full at the most famous shopping destination of Shillong – The Police Bazar
- A brief stop by at pristine Umiam Lake which offers a tranquil view, especially when clouds float around
- Head back to Guwahati by evening
- You may book flights after 7 PM or we shall help you with booking a guest house for the night so that you could leave the next day.
- Total slots for the trip: 5 or more
- Stay: Guest houses and Tents
- Food: Breakfasts and Dinners included. Lunches self sponsored.
- Trek Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- Max altitude: Shillong at 5,200 feet above Sea level
- Trip starting/ending point: Guwahati Airport
- Sumo/Innova/Tempo tourist vehicle based on number of travelers
- Starting time: Thursday 5 PM
- Ending time: Wednesday 6 PM
- You may book Flight/Train to Guwahati from your City in India
What’s next after booking your road trip:
- The Organizer will get in touch with you, or vice versa. After the confirmation, you may book your Flights up and down.
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks a week before the event
- You may discuss many things in the group and get prepared for the trip
- Expect seasonal variations in Meghalaya depending on the month we are travelling
- During heavy rains, the water falls will be in full flow but water contains mud from the mountains
- During winters and summers we may get crystal clear water in the rivers and streams, but water will be less
- Travelers are expected to come with open heart by appreciating complexities of Mother nature based on seasonal variations, monthly or even daily weather conditions
- The Trip Captain need not have traveled to Meghalaya before. He/She will act as an interface with our Driver, local guide and Guest houses
- Jan, Feb (Winter): Winters are pleasantly cold in Meghalaya which pull tourists in good numbers. There’s still a good amount of water to play in rivers and waterfalls (Umngot, Krang Suri, Rainbow). However, those giant waterfalls meant for viewing are quiet (Nohkalikal, Seven sisters) this season.
- Mar to Apr (Summer): These are drier months where one cannot find too much water anywhere.
- May to mid Sept (Monsoons): The rains hit the mountains starting from May. They start slow in May, consistently increase during June, peak around July/August and reduce by mid of Sept. Thick clouds all around interrupt views. With the force of water at its peak, one cannot take dips/play in water anywhere.
- Mid Sept to Dec (Winter): The giant waterfalls (Nohkalikal, Seven sisters) are at their best post monsoons (Oct till mid Nov) with enchanting views. End of the year (Nov, Dec) is good to play in the clear waters of rivers and waterfalls (Umngot, Krang Suri, Rainbow).
- Travel everywhere
- Stay for 6 nights
- 6 Breakfasts, 6 Dinners (Veg)
- Entry tickets, permissions
- Local guide, Trip Captain
- Airport pick and drop
- Once in a lifetime experience visiting all places mentioned in Highlights
- Any kind of insurance, activities, shopping, party, medical expenses
- Any misc. expenses that are not in inclusions above
- No major health issues shall be present to the traveler like Asthma, respiratory problems, mental ailments, Heart issues, High blood pressure or any other special medical condition which may affect you and others during the trip
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities!
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel & accommodation.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted
- Absolutely No littering during our travels. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during Treks & adventure activities. There would be separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at campsite/homestay for interested people
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety while traveling with Muddie Trails. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle that discharges Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by Muddie Trails.
- 80% refund if a cancellation request is sent 30 days before the trip start date.
- 50% refund if a cancellation request is sent between 29 to 15 days before the trip start date.
- No refund within 15 days, during, or after the trip whatever be the reason.
- No refund on the partial payment done to block your seat for the trip.
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the entire trip (60 liters or more)
- A small backpack for basic items (to carry valuables, water bottle, etc for outdoors)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- 2 Passport size color photographs (important for permit)
- Thermal inners and warm clothes (cold climate)
- A rainproof jacket with a hood (to protect from cold winds, sudden rain/snowfall)
- Waterproof gloves, thick socks, track pants, full sleeve t-shirts (to keep your body warm)
- Cap/Hat/Sunglasses (to protect from harmful sun rays)
- Sunscreen (SPF 50 or more)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Hand sanitizer and liquid hand wash will help during journeys
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our guesthouses
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, wet/dry clothes)
- Water-resistant good grip shoes for travel, extra slippers to use at guest houses
- Personal medications, any drugs that you may feel necessary (remember ghat roads, chill climate)
- No need to carry snacks/chocolates. You may buy at local shops to support local people.
The best part of the year to travel to Meghalaya is from the post-monsoon season – mid-September to mid-Feb. Winters are refreshingly cold in Meghalaya (unlike the extreme climate of Himalayas) and because of the huge rainfall it receives, water remains till the end of Feb.
It starts raining again from the month of May, which is also considered a good time to travel.
Read the detailed Terms and Conditions here.
Got more questions? Check out here!