Kedarkantha Snow Trek (Winter Special – 5D/4N)from
Kedarkantha Trek | Himalayas | 5 Days, 4 Nights
Here’s a golden opportunity for you to tick off a fantastic Himalayan winter trek in Kedarkantha. If you are craving to experience snow, play with it, camp on it, this is the trek for you.
- Reviews 4 Reviews5/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Moderate
- Group Size Medium Group
Kedarkantha is a picturesque trek in the lap of the Himalayas of Uttarkashi district situated in Uttarakhand state. The overall trek of 24 km is covered in 4 days. It’s good for beginners who wish to try the Himalayan trek for the first time.
One can witness up to 13 other Himalayan peaks from the Kedarkantha peak on a clear day. The panoramic view of the snow-capped Himalayan ranges, valleys, and villages from the Kedarkantha summit is a sight to behold.
We will start our trip with a journey from Dehradun to Sankri village which is the starting point of the Kedarkantha trek. On our way, we will make a pit stop at beautiful hill station Mussoorie. During the journey, you can catch a glimpse of snow-capped mountains, free-flowing rivers, and greenery for hours together. This long drive also helps trekkers to slowly acclimatize to higher altitudes.
After a good night’s rest at Sankri, we will go on a trek to Juda Ka Talab gaining a lot of altitudes. The trek path passes through dense forests of pine, oak, birch, rhododendrons, and deodar. The next day we will ascend to Kedarkantha base, which is one of the most beautiful campsites one can ever stay overnight. The following day, early in the morning, we will scale the summit of Kedarkantha with unparalleled views and magnificence of the Himalayas. We then descend to Juda Ka Talab on the same day. On our final day, we shall trek back to Sankri and board our vehicle towards Dehradun.
Kedarkantha, at a height of 12,500 feet (3300 meters) above Sea level is a must in the checklist of all Himalayan treks.
Highlights of the Kedarkantha Trip:
- The stunning Kedarkantha trek
- 3 nights of stay in the heavenly, snow-clad Camps
- 1 Night stay at the guesthouse
- Highly rated winter snow trek can be done with basic fitness levels
- Witness 13 high Himalayan peaks during the trek (Swargarohini, Black Peak, Bandarpoonch, etc)
- Day 1 Dehradun to Sankri Base Camp
- You may reach Dehradun Railway station or Bus stand by morning 8 AM.
- Note: Some travelers would want to arrive in Dehradun a day earlier. We can help in suggesting hotels for them).
- Go on a picturesque drive of 220 kms to Sankri village. On our way we will stop for Breakfast and Lunch. It takes about 7-8 hours on an average, based on traffic and road conditions.
- After reaching our guest house, we will take a stroll in the buzzing streets of Sankri village and pick/rent whatever is needed for the trek.
- Take good rest overnight.
- Day 2 Sankri to Juda Ka Talab trek
- Today we will move from an altitude of 6400 feet to 9100 feet above Sea level.
- This uphill trek of just over 4 km takes approximately 5 hours to finish.
- We will be passing through jungle trails, beautiful meadows, will come across mountain villagers carrying firewood and leaves for their household work, and mules going up and down carrying camping equipment for trekkers.
- We shall also indulge in some photography and sightseeing around Juda-ka-talab and the adjacent snow covered grasslands.
- Camp overnight with long conversations and stories.
- Day 3 Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha Base Trek
- Today we will move from an altitude of 9100 feet to 11,250 feet above Sea level.
- The 4 km trek takes just around 3 hours to finish.
- We shall walk alongside the oak trees enjoying the serenity of forest and trek through dense jungle as we move ahead towards Kedarkantha base.
- At around 10000 feet one gets to see and walk over a lot of snow.
- The night sky is so beautiful and climate really cold at this point with warm bonfire to keep the heat flowing in our bodies.
- Stay overnight at our beautiful Kedarkantha base campsite.
- Day 4 Kedarkantha Base to Kedarkantha peak and back to Juda ka talab
- Today is the most beautiful day of our entire trip as we move from an altitude of 11250 feet to 12500 feet which is the summit of Kedarkantha.
- We will start our trek around 2 AM with the goal to capture the sunrise from Kedarkantha peak.
- Today is also the most difficult part of the trek as we will encounter plenty of snow.
- The trek will take around 4 to 5 hours depending on the speed of the group.
- Note: If extreme weather persists on that day, forest authorities will stop batches from going to the summit. We cannot help it. It never happened with our batches earlier. But it happened to others. Be mindful of this scenario.
- We will conquer Kedarkantha and revel at the beauty of the snow-capped Himalayas. The 360-degree view from the top is simply unforgettable.
- We then descend to our Juda Ka Talab campsite and stay overnight.
- Day 5 Juda Ka Talab to Sankri, back to Dehradun
- We descend further to 6400 feet to reach base point Sankri where we started our journey 3 days back.
- We will start our return journey to Dehradun through the amazing landscapes of the Himalayas as we stop over at numerous points cherishing the journey.
- We shall reach Dehradun town by evening 8 PM.
- You may book your return tickets any time after 9 PM.
- Say goodbye to your new friends, whom you shared an unforgettable journey with for the past few days and experienced a masterpiece of mother nature named Kedarkantha.
- This trip involves basic facilities in terms of food, travel, and stay without any luxury, whatsoever.
- This is a group trip with shared model. It may not suit everyone – especially for those expecting privacy and comfort. It best suits for people who wish to socialize.
- Please do not book this trip if you are not okay with above points.
- Guesthouse at Sankri.
- Camping at other places (Juda Ka Talab, Kedarkantha base, Hargoan/Juda ka Talab).
- Usually 3 sharing tents.
- For couple stay at extra cost, contact Organizers.
- Breakfasts, Lunches, and Dinners included during the trek (all Veg food)
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate.
- Even beginners may attempt Kedarkantha Trek.
- Kedarkantha trek is more about withstanding extreme cold and snow, and not about hard trekking.
- Trek distance: 23 km covered in 3 days.
- Max altitude: 12,500 feet above Sea level.
- Group size: Usually 5 to 15 trekkers.
- Pickup/Drop point: Dehradun – Bus stand, Railway Station.
- Sumo/Innova/Tempo tourist vehicle based on the number of travelers.
- Starting time: Day1 – 8 AM.
- Ending time: Day5 – 8 PM.
- You may book Flight/Bus/Train till Dehradun from your City in India.
Things to carry:
- Day Bag(20-30 liter) with Rain Cover (If you hire mule or porter)
- Backpack(50-60 liter) with Rain Cover
- 2- water bottles
- Personal Medical kit (If you required)
- Hiking Shoes-water proof and ankle support
- Torch With extra batteries
- Original ID Card
- Glucose, Chocolates, biscuits, and nuts
- An empty tiffin box
- Thermal Wear
- 2-jacket (1 Fleece, 1 Down feather)
- Warm Inner-wears
- 2-Gloves (1 Woollen, 1 Waterproof)
- 2-Trek Pants (which is a comfortable full day)
- 4-T-shirts (2 Full Sleeves, 2 Half Sleeves)
- 2-Sweater (1 Fleece, 1 Woollen)
- 5-Socks (3 Cotton, 2 Woollen)
- Rain Coat / Poncho
Protect Your Head
- 2 Caps (1 Sun Cap, 1 Woolen Cap)
- UV sunglass
- Sunscreen SPF 50+
- Tooth Brush & Paste
- Lip Balm
- Quick Dry Towel
- Body Lotion
- Tissue papers
- Crocin or Dolo 650 – ( Fever / High Fever )
- Combliflam – ( Fever + Reduce Muscle Pain )
- Zintac/Aciloc/Rantac/ Omez ( Acidity)
- Allegra ( Allergy )
- Disprin ( for headache, try not to use at high altitude. instead drink more water and rest. ** Symptom of AMS, DO NOT SUPPRESS )
- Antibiotics (Azithromycin for infections). Do not take antibiotics when at high altitude. Descend if the problem persists and consult Doctor)
- Based on the availability, the following items may be availed on rent at our base camp: Shoes, Jacket, Trek poles, Mules/Porter.
- Please check with your organizers for availability.
What’s next after booking your trip:
- Organizers will get in touch with you, or vice versa.
- Once minimum number of people book this trip (at least 4 members), Organizing team will give a green signal to book your flights.
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks 5 days before the event.
Fitness & Preparation:
- No major health issues shall be present like Asthma, any breathing problem, Heart problems, High blood pressure, or any other special medical condition.
- One needs to prepare for any treks in the Himalayas (even though a trek like Kedarkantha may be done by beginners).
- It is recommended to achieve minimal fitness of being able to jog for 5 km to attempt any trek in the Himalayas.
- Only those people who understand the complexity of Himalayan travel and treks are advised to book this trek.
- Kedarkantha is an offbeat place with basic facilities. Travelers are expected to carefully read and understand the Terms & Conditions that explain the complexities of this trip before booking.
- Travelers are expected to come with an open heart, respect local culture, care towards the environment and climate change, willingness to help each other.
- Other trekkers may tag along with us for Kedarkantha if we are small in numbers. (We don’t want to cancel the trip as you would have booked your flight tickets.)
- Travel: Private vehicle like Sumo/Tavera/Tempo or similar (Dehradun to Dehradun)
- Stay for 4 Nights (1 Night Guesthouse, 3 Nights camping)
- Food during the trek days: Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners – all Veg
- Trek equipment: Sleeping bags, Tents, Mattress, Kitchen & Toilet tent, Crampons, Spikes, Utensils
- Entry tickets, permissions
- Trek Guide, Cook, Helpers who are familiar with local conditions and routes
- A lot of stories related to the trek. Group activities and a lot of memories!
- Food while traveling
- Any kind of insurance, activities, shopping, medical expenses
- Any misc. expenses that are not in inclusions above
- Any extra cost arising due to any change in the itinerary/stay on account of flight cancellation, bad weather, traffic-congestion/roadblocks, political disturbances and/or any factors beyond our control.
Terms and Conditions
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule shall be entertained. Do not give advice(s) to the Trip Leader(s) to change the itinerary.
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Do not wander into the forest away from the designated trail for treks. There may be snakes, scorpions, and dangerous animals.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, landslides, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Absolutely no littering. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during travel, treks, and other outdoor activities. There would be a separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at the campsite/homestay for interested people.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics, and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s), and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by the group then and there.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek which will be informed 24 hours before the trip start time.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle. This liability form will discharge Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
Cancellation by Traveler
- 80% refund if a cancellation request is sent 30 days before the trip start date.
- 50% refund if a cancellation request is sent between 30 to 15 days before the trip start date.
- An email has to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to raise a cancellation request.
- No refund within 15 days of the event start time whatever is the reason (Health, COVID, Accident, Family crisis, Office issue, or anything else).
- No refund during/after the event.
- No refund on the partial payment (advance) done to block your seat for the trip.
Cancellation by Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails may decide to cancel the event if there are less than 3 travelers signed up for the trip/trek.
What if we don’t get the minimum number of people for the trip?
We have 2 options in this case:
Option 1: Complete refund.
Option 2: Switch to any other trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
Cancellation due to external factors
Muddie Trails may have to cancel the event in case of external factors that are beyond our control like Natural Disasters, Extreme Weather Conditions, Red Alerts, Political Disturbances, Bandh/Curfews, Local Issues, Road Blocks, Train cancellations, Covid-19 or any other disease outbreaks etc.
In these scenarios:
- No Refund is allowed.
- 100% trip amount can be used for any other new trip of the same weekend or future weekends. The difference amount will be collected from you or paid back according to the new trip cost.
- Once you confirm your participation on the new trip, all the above Cancellation policies will apply for the same.