Dzukou Valley Trek Nagaland | Muddie Trailsfrom
Dzukou Valley Trek Nagaland
This backpacking trip takes you to a hidden treasure located in the far east named Dzukou valley, a place straight out of mystic fantasies.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Tucked between Brahmaputra valley on one side, and high mountain passes of Myanmar on the other side, Nagaland is a small mountainous state with unique and colorful culture. The Nagas have fiercely defended India from the Japanese army in World War 2. There are many reminiscents in and around Kohima that are very interesting to explore.
Dzukou valley is North East’s very own “Valley of Flowers” famous for its Dzukou lily that grows only in the monsoon season. The spectacular setting of Dzukou valley is almost unbelievable. It can be described as “waves of mountains” spreading as far as eyes can see. It feels like a setting straight out of fairy tales. It makes you wonder, how on Earth such a marvelous creation is plausible.
We will start our journey from Guwahati with an overnight train journey to the gateway of Nagaland called Dimapur, board our private vehicle and head straight to the land of tribes Kohima, which is also the capital town of Nagaland. A day of local attractions in and around the town will make us feel part of the pride of Nagas. We will then head to Kisama to experience the true culture of Nagas ranging from food, attire, music to tasting locally blended rice beer. Then the real experience beckons – trek to The Dzukou valley.
Located at a height of 8000 feet above sea level, this carpet of mountain terrain with dwarf bamboos is a treat to your senses. The valley is abundantly supplied with water by two rivers.
After a tricky initial climb, the only thing one would do for the next 2 days is to just admire the incredible views. A night of Camping in the valley under millions of stars is a sight to behold.
We will end the trip by exploring Dimapur town, tasting local cuisine, and some shopping.
Come, let’s explore the hidden treasure of nature.
Highlights of the Nagaland Trip:
- Kohima town, local attractions
- Kisama Heritage Village, Nagas culture
- The heavenly Dzukou Valley Trek
- Camping and Valley exploration
- Dimapur exploration – The Gateway to Nagaland
- Great Food
Join us on:
Check us out on:
(4.9 ⭐200+ reviews)—– (4.8 ⭐950+ reviews)
Guwahati pick up
- Travelers coming by Train or Flight, we all will assemble at Guwahati Railway station at 11 PM
- If you arrive early to Guwahati, you may visit some local attractions like Khamakya temple and Brahmaputra river cruise, etc, based on availability
- We shall start with a Train journey to the entry point of Nagaland: Dimapur
- Board our tourist vehicle, drive towards Kohima, the capital city of Nagaland
- Check into our guest house, freshen up
- Visit World War II Cemetery, know about interesting stories about Japanese army attacking India through North East and how Nagas defended our country
- Visit Kohima Museum and get to know about colorful local culture and different tribes that form the state
- Street walk, try local food and rest for the night.
Kisama Heritage Village
- Travel back in time to a colorful village called Kisama – the mystic piece of land that showcases rich culture, architecture and practices of The Nagas
- This village is also the venue of vibrant Hornbill festival that happens every year in December
- Here, along with tasting authentic delicacies of Nagas, different kinds & colors of Rice Beer, we can also explore Bamboo pavilion, Idols, Museum and Morungs which are the arenas for the tribes to learn and display different skills like archery, arts, crafts and even headhunting!
- A day outing in this Village is truly a rejuvenating experience in the warm hospitality of Nagas
- We shall stay in the village overnight with warm bonfire and tasty food.
Dzukou Valley: Trek to Heaven
- The day we have been waiting for has arrived. Today we shall trek to the heavenly Dzukou valley from the village
- The initial part of the trek, around 2 hours of the mountain slope, is steeply surrounded by rain forest. The locals have done a great job in maintaining the sanctity of the route
- Once we hike up the mountain, a completely new world appears in front of our eyes. Tens of rolling hills carpeted by dwarf bamboo trees welcome trekkers with a captivating views
- This trek of about 2 hours along the edge of hills is relatively easy but long. The beauty of the valley will make trekkers forget everything else
- We will reach base camp located at a magnificent setting at the other end of these hills to drop our bags and tents
- After a well deserved hot black Tea, we will hike up nearest mountain peak which is the only place with mobile signal
- We shall pitch our tents and gear up for a very very cold night. Weather permits, we can even light a bonfire.
Explore the Heaven
- Today we shall explore a Helipad and trek down the valley to reach breathtaking grasslands, pristine and cold flowing rivers, floating clouds that act as a crown to the majestic mountain peaks.
- This 3 Km trek down is icing on the cake of already unimaginable setting of the Dzukou valley
- After taking endless solos, couples, selfies, and groupfies, we finally trek up and have hot Lunch at our base camp
- Resume our trek along the hills, and finally down the Rainforest of the mountain slope to reach back our Village
- Drive towards the planes of Dimapur and rest in the guest house.
Dimapur: Gateway to Nagaland
- Your body asks for rest after 2 days of trek and camping. Wake up late and refresh.
- Dimapur is a great shopping destination. It’s time to pack your bags full of Nagaland crafts and souvenirs. A visit to nearby Hongkong market also lightens your wallet along with trying local food for one last time in the trip
- We shall board a Train towards Guwahati and reach by 9 PM
- You may book Flight/Train after 9 PM to your Hometown
- If you wish to stay 1 more Night/Day and explore Guwahati or Assam, we will help you with booking a guest house.
- Total slots for the trip: 5 or more
- Stay: Guest houses and Tents
- Food: Breakfasts and Dinners included. Lunches self sponsored.
- Trek Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- Max altitude: Dzukou Valley at 8000 feet above Sea level
- Sleeper Train between Guwahati and Dimapur
- Sumo/Innova/Tempo tourist vehicle in Nagaland based on number of travelers
- Starting time: Friday 11 PM at Guwahati Railway Station
- Ending time: Wednesday night 9 PM at Guwahati Railway Station
- You may book Flight/Train till Guwahati from your City in India
What’s next after booking your road trip:
- The Organizer will get in touch with you, or vice versa. After the confirmation, you may book your Flights up and down.
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks a week before the event
- You may discuss many things in the group and get prepared for the trip
- Dzukou valley is extremely cold when it rains and at night. Monsoon brings the best out of this place. Travelers are advised to prepare accordingly.
- Travelers are expected to respect local culture, people and rules of the land. The details will be shared in the whatsapp group by Trip Captain. This is very important.
- Travelers are expected to come with open heart by appreciating the complexities of Mother nature based on seasonal variations, monthly or even daily weather conditions.
- The Trip Captain need not have traveled to Nagaland/Dzukou before. He/She will act as an interface with our Driver, local guide and Guest houses.
- Mar to Apr (Summer): These are drier months. While the beauty is intact, the experience would be a little underwhelming.
- May to mid Sept (Monsoons): The rains hit the mountains starting from May, and the valley comes alive. Dzukou lilies and Rhododendrons decorate the valley in different colors (especially in June and July). The rains will continue till mid september, with clouds playing hide and seek.
- Mid Sept to mid Feb (Winter): Clouds give away to clear skies and amazing sunsets. Extreme chill sets into the valley with freezing nights and early mornings. The valley is still very beautiful.
- Travel Guwahati to Nagaland to Guwahati
- Stay for 5 nights
- 5 Breakfasts, 4 Dinners (Veg and Non Veg)
- Entry tickets, permissions
- Local guide, Trip Captain
- Campfire, if it doesn’t rain at the time
- Once in a lifetime experience visiting all places mentioned in Itinerary and Highlights
- Lunches, 1 Dinner
- Any kind of insurance, activities, shopping, party, medical expenses
- Any misc. expenses that are not in inclusions above
- No major health issues shall be present to the traveler like Asthma, respiratory problems, mental ailments, Heart issues, High blood pressure or any other special medical condition which may affect you and others during the trip
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities!
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel & accommodation.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted
- Absolutely No littering during our travels. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during Treks & adventure activities. There would be separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at campsite/homestay for interested people
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety while traveling with Muddie Trails. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle that discharges Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand cancelled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s) and/or involving in physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by Muddie Trails.
- 80% refund if cancellation request is sent 30 days before trip start date
- 50% refund if cancellation request is sent between 29 to 15 days before trip start date
- No refund within 15 days, during or after the trip whatever be the reason
- No refund on the partial payment done to block your seat for the trip
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the entire trip (60 litres or more)
- A small backpack for basic items (to carry valuables, water bottle etc for outdoors)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- 2 Passport size color photographs (important for permit)
- Thermal inners and warm clothes (cold climate)
- Rain proof jacket with a hood (to protect from cold winds, sudden rain/snow fall)
- Waterproof gloves, thick socks, track pants, full sleeve t-shirts (to keep your body warm)
- Cap/Hat/Sunglasses (to protect from harmful sun rays)
- Sunscreen (SPF 50 or more)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Hand sanitizer and liquid hand wash will help during journeys
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our guesthouses
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, wet/dry clothes)
- Water resistant good grip shoes for travel, extra slippers to use at guest houses
- Personal medications, any drugs that you may feel necessary (remember ghat roads, chill climate)
- No need to carry snacks/chocolates. You may buy at local shops to support local people.
Dzukou valley is a monsoon special trek. The best experience would be from June till August when Dzukou Lillis grow and the valley is transformed into a green carpet of mountain waves.
It is also good in peak winter (Dec and Jan) where extremely chilling temperatures give way to a frozen valley
Read the detailed Terms and Conditions here.
Got more questions? Check out here!