Brahmatal Winter Trekfrom
– A world unbelievably white, a panorama incredibly stunning. If you wish to experience snow trekking for the first time in your life, no better place to start than Brahmatal.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Challenging
Group Size Medium Group
Brahmatal is a high altitude frozen lake trek of the Garhwal Himalayas of Uttarakhand, towards Nepal and Tibet borders. It’s one of the rare Himalayan peaks available for trekking winter months that takes you on a thick carpet of snow and the snow-covered mountains all around. It’s a great winter trek for nature lovers and adventure seekers.
The uneven terrain, captivating landscapes, sprawling oak forests, hushed hamlets, crystal clear streams, conifers and a mesmerizing view of the Himalayas have added attractions while reaching 12,200 feet above Sea level covering around 22 Km overall distance of the circuit. The stunning view of the frozen lake of Bekaltal on the backdrop of majestic snow-capped Himalayan peaks is an added attraction that one cannot miss.
A clear glimpse of Mount Trishul, Mt. Nanda Ghunti as we trek along the hamlets and streams is the icing on the cake. The best thing is, this trek is good for beginners also. Anyone with basic fitness levels can attempt Brahmatal.
We will start with a drive from Dehradun to Lohajung village which is slightly tiring yet beautiful. You can see snow-capped mountains, free-flowing rivers, and greenery for hours together. The long journey also helps trekkers to slowly acclimatize to higher altitudes.
Our basecamp is a small little village called Lohajung. From here we will trek to Bekaltal through beautiful meadows and snow-covered trails on Day 2, scale Brahmatal peak on Day 3 with fascinating snow-capped mountains all around, and descend to Tilbudi via Brahmatal pass on Day 4. Finally, we will trek back to Lohajung on Day 5. The complete trek path is like a circuit (round trail).
From cloudy blue skies to snowfall to awesome mountain range views, we got everything at Brahmatal. Come, let’s conquer one of the most beautiful mountains of the mighty Himalayas.
Highlights of the Brahmatal Trip:
- The spellbinding Brahmatal snow trek
- 3 nights of stay in the snow-clad Camps
- The frozen Bekal Tal Lake attraction
- Clear views of Mt Trishul and Mt Nanda Ghunti during the trek
Join us on:
Check us out on:
(4.9 ⭐200+ reviews)—– (4.8 ⭐950+ reviews)
Dehradun to Lohajung
- You may reach Dehradun Airport or Bus stand by morning 7 AM.
- We shall start our journey from Dehradun to Lohajung village after Breakfast.
- This picturesque drive covers 300 km through the amazing landscapes of Himalayas and takes around 10 hrs by our private vehicle.
- We will reach a guest house, check-in and take good rest.
Trek from Lohajung to Bekaltal
- This uphill trek of just over 6 km takes approximately 5 hours to finish.
- We will be passing through jungle trails, tranquil meadows will come across mountain villagers carrying firewood and leaves for their household work, and mules going up and down carrying camping equipment for trekkers.
- Today you will move from an altitude of 7600 feet to 9700 feet above Sea level.
- We will come across natural spring and man-made water points along the way.
- We shall go to Bekaltal frozen lake for an evening walk.
- Camp overnight with long conversations and stories.
Bekaltal to Brahmatal
- Today we will move from an altitude of 9700 feet to 10,500 feet above Sea level.
- The 7 km trek takes around 7 hours to finish.
- The First 1 and half hours are steep ascents via Bekaltal Lake, then gradual ascent for a few hours.
- At last steep descent and then gradual descent till the campsite.
- The night sky is so pretty and the climate is really cold at this point. We will try to light up a warm bonfire to keep the heat flowing in our bodies if allowed at that time.
- We will get to witness Shivalik and Greater Himalayan ranges today.
- Camp overnight.
Brahmatal to Tilbudi via Brahmatal Pass
- Today is the most beautiful day of our entire trip as we move from an altitude of 10500 feet to 12200 feet which is the summit of Brahmatal.
- Today’s long trek will take around 8 hours with 7 km of uphill and flat trail combination along with the magnificent Rhododendron and Oak Forest.
- We will conquer Brahmatal and revel at the beauty of snow-capped Himalayas. The 360-degree view from the top is simply unforgettable.
- The views of Mount Trishul, Neelkanth and other snow-capped Himalayan peaks touch your heart and soul.
- We then descend to 11 feet which is to our Tilbudi campsite.
Tilbudi to Lohajung via Wan
- We descend further to 7600 feet to reach base point Lohajung where we started our journey 3 days back.
- The gradual and steep hike down will take approximately 6 hours though the distance is just 4 Km.
- A walking stick and knee caps will help a lot today as we fall down a number of times
- We will stay in a guest house today reliving the memories of the trek and going through the breathtaking pictures we took.
Journey back to Dehradun
- Freshen up and drive back to Dehradun as we stop over at numerous points cherishing the journey.
- We shall reach Dehradun town by evening from 6 to 7 PM. You may book your return tickets any time after 8 PM.
- Say Bye to your new friends, whom you shared an unforgettable journey for the past few days and together witnessed a masterpiece of mother nature called Brahmatal.
Fitness & Preparation:
- One needs to prepare for any treks in the Himalayas (even though a trek like Brahmatal may be done by beginners).
- It is recommended to achieve minimal fitness of being able to jog for 5 km without taking any break to attempt any trek in the Himalayas.
- No major health issues shall be present like Asthma, any breathing problem, Heart problems, High blood pressure or any other special medical condition.
- Only those people who understand the complexity of Himalayan travel and treks are advised to book this trek.
- Brahmatal is an offbeat place with basic facilities. Travelers are expected to carefully read and understand Terms & Conditions that explain the complexities of this trip before booking.
- Travelers are expected to come with an open heart, respect local culture, care towards the environment and climate change, and are willing to help each other.
- The Trip Captain need not have trekked Brahmatal before. He/She will act as an interface with our driver, local guide and campsites.
What's next after booking your road trip:
- The Organizer will get in touch with you, or vice versa. After discussing with him/her, you may book your flights up and down.
- A Whatsapp group will be created for all the registered folks a week before the event
- You may discuss many things in the group and get prepared for the trip
Pickup points, Timings:
- Pickup/Drop point: Dehradun Airport
- Starting time: Tuesday 6 to 7 AM
- Ending time: Sunday 6 PM
- You may book Flight/Bus till Dehradun from your City in India
Things to carry for Brahmatal Trip:
- Toiletries, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste,
- A lightweight large Backpack for the entire road trip (60 liters or more)
- A small backpack for basic items (to carry valuables, water bottle. etc when trekking)
- Photo identity proof with address (Aadhar/Passport/Voter ID)
- 2 Passport size color photographs (important for permit)
- Thermal inners and warm clothes (very cold climate)
- A rainproof jacket with a hood (to protect from cold winds, sudden rain/snowfall)
- Waterproof gloves, thick socks, track pants, full sleeve t-shirts (to keep your body warm)
- Cap/Hat (you may get tanned because of high altitude direct sun rays)
- Sunglasses (important as snow reflects harmful UV rays)
- Sunscreen (SPF 50 or more)
- Power bank, charger, camera, binoculars (if you wish to)
- Hand sanitizer and liquid hand wash (facilities over there are very basic)
- Proper water bottle for your trip. You may fill at our guesthouses/campsites
- Disposable garbage covers (To separate used/unused, wet/dry clothes)
- Water-resistant, good grip shoes for trekking, extra slippers to use at guest houses
- Personal medications, any drugs that you may feel necessary (remember high altitude, ghat roads, chill climate)
- No need to carry snacks/chocolates. You may buy at local shops to support them.
- Travel: Dehradun to Sankri to Dehradun by Private vehicle like Sumo/Tavera/Tempo or similar
- Stay for 5 Nights (2 nights guesthouse, 3 nights camping)
- Food during the trek days: Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners – all Veg
- Trek equipment: Sleeping bag, Tent, Mattress, Kitchen & Toilet tent, Crampons, Utensils
- Entry tickets, permissions
- Trek Guide, Cook, Helpers who are familiar with local conditions and routes
- A lot of stories related to the trek. Group activities and a lot of memories!
- Food while traveling
- Any kind of insurance, activities, shopping, party, medical expenses
- Any misc. expenses that are not in inclusions above
- No major health issues shall be present to the traveler like Asthma, respiratory problems, mental ailments, Heart issues, High blood pressure or any other special medical condition which may affect you and others during the trip
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities!
- We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel & accommodation.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted
- Absolutely No littering during our travels. We swear to protect our environment.
- No alcohol & smoking during Treks & adventure activities. There would be separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at campsite/homestay for interested people
- Cooperate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won’t miss out on the real fun part that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety while traveling with Muddie Trails. Don’t indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle that discharges Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions, etc. In most cases, if the time permits, the organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- The event will stand canceled if less than 8 travelers signed up for the trip/trek
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve-teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s) and/or involving in the physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by Muddie Trails.
- 80% refund if a cancellation request is sent 30 days before the trip start date.
- 50% refund if a cancellation request is sent between 29 to 15 days before the trip start date.
- No refund within 15 days, during or after the trip whatever be the reason (health, family, work issues, accident, any major or minor issue).
- No refund on the partial payment done to block your seat for the trip.
Read the detailed Terms and Conditions here.
Got more questions? Check out here!